Audible Stove Temp Alarm?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 3:59 pm

Here's what I would like:

A coal/wood stove magnetic thermometer that has an audible alarm mode which can be set for both high temps (to warn of overfiring....say if you accidently leave the ash door open) & low temps (say around 100 degrees) to warn that your fire is in danger of going out.

Does anyone make such a thing?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 5:19 pm

Do you want one to just alarm in the home or to notify you offsite? If you Google "high and low temperature alarms", I'm sure you will get a hatfull. Add "remote" to your search and it will call you on your phone for about $300.

Greyhound
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Lenox Oil HA, Heat Pump

Post by Greyhound » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 10:00 pm

The greenhouse industry has these, for obvious reasons.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 1:20 am

coaledsweat wrote: Add "remote" to your search and it will call you on your phone for about $300.
I hope that's not the cost of the phone call.. :lol: Remember that old movie "Don't answer the phone" Be like that if you were in the house, it would be calling you and saying "Get out of the house!" ... guess you would have to remember the movie to follow along here.

Something like this might be a good suggestion for the coal-trol people, not sure if you could connect it to network now but you'd only need a modem and/or wi-fi card and/or program installed on your computer to monitor it on your computer. With the modem it could dial direct to phone, wi-fi connected the possibitlities are endlesso including emailing you or phoning you though the modem on your computer, or it sends message to off-site server which phones you or.... wait a minute... :P

I think Yanche mentioned network connectivity in another thread for similar monitoring purposes.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 2:17 pm

Found a wireless meat thermometer that should work fine.

http://www.ctwoodfurnace.com/

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 2:23 pm

I use that thermometer to monitor my water and flue temp in my boiler, but I forgot that it had alarms. Sorry.

I turned off my alarms, I just wanted to read the water and chimney temps without having to go out into the boiler building. I'm right at the max range of the wireless. About 100'.

Greg L.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 4:23 pm

LsFarm wrote:I use that thermometer to monitor my water and flue temp in my boiler, but I forgot that it had alarms. Sorry.

I turned off my alarms, I just wanted to read the water and chimney temps without having to go out into the boiler building. I'm right at the max range of the wireless. About 100'.

Greg L.
No problem LsFarm........Do the batteries that come with that thermometer last you the whole heating season?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Oct. 30, 2007 4:47 pm

They have so far, lasted four months last year and about a month so far this year. They are brand X batteries, I'd buy some duracells for it.

Greg

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. Nov. 04, 2007 10:11 pm

On my Girlie stove there is a safety switch that turns off the stove if you leave the ash door open. You could retrofit one of these to your stove. Call Lesiure Line they will know what to the safety switch is called.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”