Bummer Oil Unit and Coal Same Flue

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Dec. 11, 2011 10:23 am

Mine actually pulls MORE draft when the oil burner kicks on. The blower on the burner unit is like a supercharger for the chimney. The manometer, which is attached to my connector pipe for the coal stove right before it enters the chimney, reads .06" with the burner running & a full firebox of coal. With just the coal going, it's .04" - 05" on a calm cold day. When it gets into the 50's out, it's .03". Never have had a puffback (reverse draft).

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sun. Dec. 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Rob, what and where did you get the reflectic barrier behind your Hitzer stove, and did you notice alot more heat being put into the basement by using it ? I was thinking I read on here somewhere to put the coal appliance above the boiler, but maybe it doesnt make a difference ?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Dec. 11, 2011 5:11 pm

I just used a foil-faced bubble wrap, commonly known as "radiant barrier". There was a wooden partition behind the stove, and a unheated root cellar to the left. Even though there was like 6' of clearance around the stove, the walls got HOT when I was really cooking the Hitzer. If I went in the root cellar the concrete wall between me and the stove felt warm to the touch. After I put up the radiant barrier the walls felt cool to the touch, and if you stood in front of the stove...the heat would make your eyes water. I don't know if it saved me any coal, but it did cool down the things I didn't want heated.

As for one above the other, I think it would make sense to put the appliance the requires the most draft on top. In my case, the oil boiler called for -0.05" of WC, and that also worked very well for the Hitzer.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sun. Dec. 11, 2011 6:11 pm

[quote="Rob R."]I just used a foil-faced bubble wrap, commonly known as "radiant barrier". There was a wooden partition behind the stove, and a unheated root cellar to the left. Even though there was like 6' of clearance around the stove, the walls got HOT when I was really cooking the Hitzer. If I went in the root cellar the concrete wall between me and the stove felt warm to the touch. After I put up the radiant barrier the walls felt cool to the touch, and if you stood in front of the stove...the heat would make your eyes water. I don't know if it saved me any coal, but it did cool down the things I didn't want heated.

Thanks, sounds just like what I need.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sun. Dec. 11, 2011 6:27 pm

as rob said the appliance with the heighest draft requirement highest on the flue. typically that will be the solid fuel appliance; it is unusual to have an oil appliance with a draft requirement of much over -.02 and generally the lower the better (even to the point of firing positive in the chamber) with any newer flame-retention burners.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”