Anyone Do This?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Oct. 02, 2007 7:51 pm

I am considering buying bulk coal this year but need to get it around back which is to far for a chute & no room to manuiever a truck for delivery. Anyone have coal dumped & then wheelbarrel (or whatever) it around the back of the house themselves? (around 50' & about 2 tons of nut coal)

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Tue. Oct. 02, 2007 8:06 pm

I shovel it from my pickup to the bin, then shovel it from the bin to a coal hod then to my inside bin to my stove. Nothing like making extra work for myself. :-({|=

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Oct. 02, 2007 8:11 pm

I've had to shovel loose coal from my dump trailer into my tractor's loader bucket to transfer it into [last year's] coal bin.

Do you have a neighbor with a loader-tractor??

Greg L

CoalBin
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500
Other Heating: Wood Stove & Oil

Post by CoalBin » Tue. Oct. 02, 2007 10:12 pm

Did that a long time ago as a teenager - It was not hard work, just took some time ( maybe 3 hrs ) The key was /is to drop it on a hard flat surface so its easy to shovel. ( or find a teenager - if they even do that kind of work anymore )

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Oct. 02, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi Devil5052 If you make a small coal bin say like 4x4x4 it will be around 1.6 tons Or smaller You could put big caster wheels on it fill and move to the back of house unload refill Or go pick up 8 to 10 plastick 55 gal drums each will hold about 300 to 350 lbs use a hand truck to move them around to the back dump and refill Just have the truck dump the coal on a hard place up front of you place or maybe on the side of your house Put down a few sheets of playwood will make it easy to shovel up Good luck on you endeavor :sleepy4:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Oct. 07, 2007 6:49 pm

Last year I had 2 ton of loose coal delivered, chuted into my woodshed and then shoveled it into a wheelbarrow or the cart behind my tractor as needed.
I didn't consider it hard work since I've done this with firewood for years. This year I improved the plan somewhat and build a coal bin in the cellar.

Since last year was my first with coal I didn't know how much I would use, the amount of coal you go through in cold weather showed me that the less you have to move it, the better.

As I said, I was used to moving 6 to 8 cords of wood per season.

Now it's October 7th and I haven't even gotten a wood delivery yet.

smiley

Post by smiley » Tue. Nov. 27, 2007 7:24 pm

If you have a lawn tractor/wheeler/etc,, how about making a portable bin or two, like a utility/boat trailer with a BIG box on it and a small door on the back for a chute to dump into your bin. Load directly from the truck, carry it back and chute it in. You'd still have to shovel some though.
Smiley

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”