How to Keep Convection Running 24/7 With Coal-Trol?

gtx71

Post by gtx71 » Thu. Jan. 13, 2011 10:12 am

good morning,

i have a coal-trol and was wonder what is the best way to keep my convection running 24/7.

can it be done with the thermoastat I have the newsest version thermostat

thanks,

tony b

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 13, 2011 5:28 pm

touch the Menu once and it should have a FSA, Press the UP arrow, it will go into FSM and put it at 99.

FSA- FAN SPEED AUTO, based on FEED RATE
FSM -FAN SPEED MANUAL 1-99

If you set low like 30 or 40, it will override it if the feed rate gets high enough and it need the fan to run higher and go back to automatic mode.

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Thu. Jan. 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Do as WNY said-
WNY wrote:touch the Menu once and it should have a FSA, Press the UP arrow, it will go into FSM and put it at 99.
except hitting the up arrow after FSA will start you at 'FSM-1' and each UP arrow button push will increase the fan speed by '1' until you reach '99' AKA- full speed...

If you want to immediatley go to 'FSM-99' or 'full speed' just push the DOWN arrow once while 'FSA' is displayed on the screen... Just trying to save you 98 UP arrow button pushes...

Murdoc

WNY

Post by WNY » Fri. Jan. 14, 2011 6:16 am

Yes, I forgot which way to push the UP/DOWN arrows. IT will go round robin, all the way around, so Yes, go Backwards to 99.

Actually holding the arrow in, goes by 10.....

gtx71

Post by gtx71 » Fri. Jan. 14, 2011 10:04 am

thanks for the help. I seem to be able to keep it running full max 99 for a while. I believe that what is happening is when thermostat is satisfied the convection motor along with the feed will ramp done, again the thermostat confection fan will go back to auto. what I want to do is continue to run the fan full max all of the time. I have in my shop and want to harvest all of the heat being generated.

tony b.

WNY

Post by WNY » Fri. Jan. 14, 2011 1:03 pm

I thought it would run continuoustly, unless your FR rate is high enough to over ride the manual settings.

Are you reaching FR=99? if so, it will go back to automatic.

WNY

Post by WNY » Fri. Jan. 14, 2011 1:05 pm

If you look at the top of this forum, "V3 Features".....not sure if it helps...but explains it a bit more.

"Manual Convection Fan Safety
While we never had any reports of overheating problems, the number of TS1's sold over the years has been significantly lower than the TS2s. By adding the manual fan speed feature to the TS2 we were concerned that we may start to get reports of people forgetting they set to run at a low manual fan speed while the stove is cranking at a high feedrate. To address this we introduced a safety feature which will return convection fan control to automatic if a the feedrate is above a threshold for more than a threshold number of minutes. These two thresholds are user adjustable in the advanced menu through a feedrate threshold ("MF") and a duration threshold ("MT"). You might ask, "How does that maintain safety? Can't I just set both to maximum and defeat the safety?" The answer is no. The two settings are linked so that there is an upper limit between the two that cannot be exceeded. This limit is based on multiplying the two settings together. The product can not be larger than 3600. For example, the defaults are MT 60 and MF 60 (60x60=3600). This means if the FR is above 60 for 60 minutes it will cause the fan to return to automatic. If you go in and adjust the feedrate threshold, MF, to 70 it will cause the MT setting to be reduced to 51 minutes. In this way there is a maximum energy output that can't exceeded without the control making sure that heat is moved off the stove by the blower. The choice of 3600 being the pivot point was based on the selection of our defaults of 60 and 60. We'll be interested to hear people's experiences with manual fan control and this safety. We believe it is a sound feature and shouldn't interfere with most usages of manual fan control, but are definitely open to feedback so we can make adjustments in future revs if need be."...

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 9:41 pm

While this won't get you running 100% all the time, you can adjust the CFM setting to 50 which will get you near full speed for a minimum fan speed. Then change CFT to 0, which will cause the fan to always run at least at minimum speed.

Of course, if you want it running all the time and full speed, then you could always plug the motor into the wall outlet, too. :)

Instructions on CFM setting is at: Coal-Trol V3 Firmware Features

CFT is in the normal SETUP menu. More info on this setting is available here: Coal-Trol V3 Firmware Features

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”