Booster Fans With Coal-Trol

ewcsretired

Post by ewcsretired » Mon. Jul. 09, 2007 12:25 pm

I am going to install the jacket on my Leisure Line Hyfire II. With that I am gong to install a booster fan in each 8 inch duct as well as a 6 inch booster in another duct. The motors are rated at 34 watts, .64 amp draw.

Are there any issues with this setup?

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Mon. Jul. 09, 2007 3:17 pm

Don't put the booster fans too close to the stove. When I ran my Alaska Channing on 75% or above, the heat output was so hot, it fried the electric motor in the booster fans.

After replacing them twice in one season, I switched to a draft inducer to move the hot air. Works great.

BK

coal_kid

Post by coal_kid » Mon. Jul. 09, 2007 7:59 pm

BK is right, you need to keep your fans a few feet away from your burner, but I don’t think you should totally abandon them. With the custom made jackets from the LL stoves the fans would tie very easily into your existing ductwork. A setup like BKs might require a lot more work. I’d like to see pictures.

My stove shop said they don’t install booster fans under 4 feet. I went as far as I could, and it is 3 feet. I had 150 degree air blowing out of them at 840 cfm 4 feet from the duct fans. It sounds like you’re using two 8 inch fans, that sounds great. As you may already know I have a similar setup. (Two 8 inch fans off the stove, and one 6 inch fan with a line thermostat on my 2nd floor).

If you get good high temperature metal blade fans you'll be set. Air booster fans has 6 and 8 inch fans rated at 266 degrees. http://www.airboosterfans.com/

Your subject line said “Booster fans with Coal-Trol” but you didn’t mention that in your post. We can’t forget you were asking a specific question regarding this. The draw isn’t a whole lot more than a standard blower fan, its still less than two amps total. It all depends on how they built the circuits. But someone from the Coal Trol should be able to answer this better.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Jul. 09, 2007 8:20 pm

You could hook the inline fans up to a separate thermostat, so it doesn't rely on the Coaltrol for heat, the DustStat Thermostat can directly plug in the inline blower fan and mounted to the pipe would turn on only when needed. you could hook the other one to the coaltrol and then you can control it via the keypad....a lot of possibilities. I also put a booster fan in the duct to help move the air a bit more. This one is the only one rated that higher temp.

http://www.smarthome.com/3018.html

I actually move mine to the attic to control my attic fan in the summer to help exhaust the heat, then hook it back up in the fall to the coal ductwork. Simple plug and play.

ewcsretired

Post by ewcsretired » Mon. Jul. 09, 2007 8:54 pm

First thanks for all the replies, info like this really helps me determine the best fit.

I am kind of restricted to the distance I can get away from the stove for the booster fans. On the side I can get 4 feet but the other might be closer to two and a half to three. I could get a bt further but then they will be too close to the register and then the noise.

I have the fans, got them from airboosterfans.com as recommended here on another thread.

So as soon as the jacket gets here I will be in business. I used 6 tons of coal last year, the cellar was at 74 degrees, hopefully this year I can get a bit more of that heat in the living spaces upstairs

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Tue. Jul. 17, 2007 9:16 pm

I bring word from Neil:
The key requirement for operation of multiple blowers from the variable speed convection output are:
1) Multiple motors must be of identical types. This means the nameplate model number and the fan attached must be identical. DO NOT mix motor types or sizes.
2) The total continuous current drawn from the Convection output must be less than 4.5A. (We rate the output conservatively at 2A, assuming that the other outputs are at their rated output.)
3) The total of all loads on the Coal-trol Digital must be less than 10A, otherwise the fuse blows.

Operation outside these boundaries may cause damage to the control module.

DISCLAIMER: We try to assist in providing special solutions to adapt to your particular situation. However, we cannot be responsible for damage to equipment caused by unreasonable application not within the ratings and/or published specifications.
I'll add, if in doubt about your setup don't hesitate to call us at 315-299-3589. Preferably before you turn on the power. :)

Cold_Mainer
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Pocono BV 90,000 BTU

Post by Cold_Mainer » Tue. Dec. 02, 2008 7:44 pm

WNY wrote:You could hook the inline fans up to a separate thermostat, so it doesn't rely on the Coaltrol for heat, the DustStat Thermostat can directly plug in the inline blower fan and mounted to the pipe would turn on only when needed. you could hook the other one to the coaltrol and then you can control it via the keypad....a lot of possibilities. I also put a booster fan in the duct to help move the air a bit more. This one is the only one rated that higher temp.

http://www.smarthome.com/3018.html

I actually move mine to the attic to control my attic fan in the summer to help exhaust the heat, then hook it back up in the fall to the coal ductwork. Simple plug and play.
Are you having good luck with this setup? The DustStat thermostat and the inline fan looks exactley what I want......

Steve

WNY

Post by WNY » Wed. Dec. 03, 2008 7:29 am

Paul/Neil that good to know, I was running about 3amps with 3 blowers and didn't want to overload it. But it did work. So I unhooked the jacket fan and wired it separately.

Actually, the Dust Stat sensor wasn't close enough to the airflow when I mounted on the jacket.

I actually put a Adjustable Temperature Snap Switch (Patriot-Supply.com) on the outside of the jacket, it works perfectly, When it hits 140, the bonnet/jacket fan turns on to wash the stove of heat, independently of the Coaltrol settings.

I did have it directly in the airflow with a 1" hole to sense the heat, but as soon as the blowers came on, it cool too much and turn them off, and it cycle on/off every minute or so.

Cold_Mainer

Post by Cold_Mainer » Wed. Dec. 03, 2008 8:15 am

So the DustStat Thermostat didn't really work out, is that what your saying? I was really hopeing this would be a good rig. Price was right.

Steve

WNY

Post by WNY » Wed. Dec. 03, 2008 8:50 am

For me, not exactly for my application, But your install might be different. Granted, it works the way its supposed to, but the way I wanted to install it, it didn't.

I would have had to mount it on a hot part of the stove and didn't want to melt the case. Mounting it on a duct or somewhere should work fine.

Cold_Mainer

Post by Cold_Mainer » Wed. Dec. 03, 2008 1:00 pm

Yes, I want to mount mine on the ductwork so will proabaly give it a try. Thanks for the info.

Steve

morrisfamily3098

Post by morrisfamily3098 » Wed. Dec. 10, 2008 9:33 am

For my custom setup I also used an adjustable snap-switch. I had the switch controlling a four plug outlet and ran all of the wires to my duct fans (6") to that plug. now once my trunk duct hits 100* all (3) of the inline fans kick on. my system works great

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”