Stink Bug Attack

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Wed. Oct. 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Seems computer virus' weren't my only bug problems in the last week. I fired up my Parent's Keystoker today and found a bunch of the bugs looking for a way out of the stack damper as I was looking for startup smoke rising through the pipe. I only wish I could have stuffed the malware author in there after that "jack%!#" trashed my laptop. I guess it was a small consolation choking the stink bugs instead.

By the way, those folks affected by these bugs, you may want to double check your stack is clear before firing up. I just reassembled and cleaned the stack last week. These damn things could be worse than a gypsy moth invasion!

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Oct. 07, 2010 8:09 am

I've had a few around here both inside and outside the house. I heard they are bad out around Pottsville.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Thu. Oct. 07, 2010 8:14 am

There were HUNDREDS in my fireplace flu. I found this out the other night when I lit up a wood fire. Thank goodness I have sealed glass doors on the F.P. !

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Oct. 07, 2010 9:21 am

They were probably in the flue connected to the Fisher as well. They are quite well done now.

WissaMan
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (MK1) w/ PC control
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WissaMan » Thu. Oct. 07, 2010 10:27 am

There were a couple Squash Bugs in my vent pipe clamoring to escape out the baro damper when I fired up my stove. Of course I denied them exit. I hate those damn bugs!!

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Thu. Oct. 07, 2010 11:18 am

I use a dust buster to vacuum them up. I've been getting 1 or 2 a night for weeks in here. They were coming in through the window air conditioner, didn't think of the stove. They sound like a Huey chopper when they fly. I don't crush 'em, just throw 'em out the door. They probably come right back.

YZF1R

Post by YZF1R » Thu. Oct. 07, 2010 6:29 pm

The usual spray doesn't seem to do much. I found if I take them out to the porch and throw them down hard, the sudden stop when you hear them hit the cement kills them. Last year, I burned a fire or so in my wood insert then it warmed the rest of the week. I guess they could feel the residual heat coming up the flue from the masonry chimney and they went down there like crazy. They were coming out the stove and all. This year with the coal stove, I will not install the last piece of pipe until I'm ready to burn 24/7. That will keep them out. In the meantime, I have the tee capped with a rubber band over a freezer bag over the end. I can see them in there on the bag. I give them a snap of my finger and listen to them slam back into the rear of the tee. I'll remove the bottom cap on the tee and look up the flue and clean any out before lighting.

Steve

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Oct. 08, 2010 12:06 am

The past few years we've had quite a few of those little f'ers crawlin' around these parts. I wish I could have caught on video the reaction from my cat .... I grabbed one & held it up so he could sniff it.

I guess the smell is quite a bit stronger for animals than it is for humans! :lol: :lol:

He started foaming at the mouth!! No joke!! Shaking his head around like he stuck it in a fire!! Funniest thing I have ever seen in my life!! Looked like he was gonna chomp it at first .... then he suddenly took 6 steps backward & completely lost it. Slobber was flying everywhere ... Too funny!

Why doesn't the wife find these things funny??? :gee:

WissaMan
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (MK1) w/ PC control
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WissaMan » Fri. Oct. 08, 2010 6:03 am

Yeah they have been getting worse around my house. For the last 7 years we had a small garden behind our house but didn't even bother this year because the last two years they were so bad they killed just about every zucchini, squash, and watermelon plant we grew.

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Fri. Oct. 08, 2010 1:14 pm

SMITTY wrote:Why doesn't the wife find these things funny???
lol your not alone there Smity.

It's amazing the things I find funny and then get the evil eye from her afterwards. :lol:

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Oct. 18, 2010 7:12 pm

Turns out it's a "product" of Allentown PA! The brown marmorated stink bug was first reported in Allentown about 8 years ago. Since then, the rest is part of aromatic history!

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Oct. 18, 2010 7:53 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:Turns out it's a "product" of Allentown PA! The brown marmorated stink bug was first reported in Allentown about 8 years ago. Since then, the rest is part of aromatic history!
Yep, and Hunterdon county, NJ was the highest hit (worst hit?) Most bugs :sick: :sick: :sick:

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Tue. Oct. 19, 2010 9:53 am

For me, they are "The Fourth Great Plague". When I first started fixing up this place, it was cave crickets in the crawlspace; then it was carpenter ants, last year it was mice, and now I am still getting about three a night in here. They usually show up over my floor lamp just when I'm nodding out. I jump up out of the chair cursing and get the dustbuster. I never smelled one or squashed one yet.

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Tue. Oct. 19, 2010 10:15 am

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:Turns out it's a "product" of Allentown PA! The brown marmorated stink bug was first reported in Allentown about 8 years ago. Since then, the rest is part of aromatic history!
just blame it on A-town,wish the little basturds would stay over there. :mad:

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Sat. Oct. 23, 2010 3:47 pm

I should have known they were coming down the chimney. took the stack apart today, and they were hiding in the seams! They must come out of the baro at night, attracted to the floor lamp I have on while watching TV. Like I said, they come buzzing around just when I am nodding off. hopefully this will be the end of them, I'm going to start the stove up for the season soon.

Attachments

Picture 012.jpg
.JPG | 134.9KB | Picture 012.jpg

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”