The End Is Near! ... Hehe

jumperjoe

Post by jumperjoe » Fri. Apr. 06, 2007 7:07 am

Bought 500 lbs of nut on Wednesday, it's going to get cold here in Cleveland. Only had about 150 lbs. left of 3 ton.

This web site is great.
Joe

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Apr. 06, 2007 8:06 am

jumperjoe wrote: This web site is great.
Joe
Thanks Joe, gonna get better too. :)

timberman

Post by timberman » Fri. Apr. 06, 2007 9:01 am

Hey thanks Stockingfull for starting this topic. You see what you've done don't you. Its 26 and blowing snow here in central PA. :)

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Fri. Apr. 06, 2007 9:30 am

timberman wrote:Hey thanks Stockingfull for starting this topic. You see what you've done don't you. Its 26 and blowing snow here in central PA. :)
You're welcome. And I notice, since you're one of us coal burners, that you smiled when you said that. :wav:

BTW, 29° and gray here in the Hudson Valley this morning.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Apr. 06, 2007 1:44 pm

My porch thermometer read 16* this morning, I'm limping along on the last few hundred pounds of coal... I may have to go buy some 'expensive' bagged rice coal to burn over the next few weeks, I can't stand the thought of burning propane...

Everyone have a nice Easter with the family!!

Greg L

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Apr. 06, 2007 5:16 pm

WELL greg you can always take another trip down here to p.a. and pickup some good cheap coal it's down to $120.00 a ton and there's no snow in the forecast just give me a call when your coming take care and have a good easter see ya :occasion5:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Apr. 06, 2007 5:16 pm

It's currently 35 degrees here, at 5:15 PM. Warm inside though, still running the Harman! :)

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Apr. 07, 2007 6:07 am

Coal boilers never go out in the coal region! I will continue to keep the coal burning until I have warmed the atmosphere enough that we have no more winters in the northeast and I can plant my orange grove. Then and only then is it really the end.

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Sat. Apr. 07, 2007 6:56 am

gaw wrote:Coal boilers never go out in the coal region! I will continue to keep the coal burning until I have warmed the atmosphere enough that we have no more winters in the northeast and I can plant my orange grove. Then and only then is it really the end.
And that northern orange grove'll be a good thing, since there won't be any land left in Florida when the tide comes in! :hotsun:

Seriously, I do wonder how we can stay warm, stay solvent and stay independent all at the same time. I've long thought that power generation should be concentrated in clean (scrubbed) coal and nukes, saving the liquid fossils for mobile uses. It's all well and good for Al to point out the "inconvenient truth" but where are the answers??

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Apr. 07, 2007 7:44 am

It was 71 last week and woke up to 4 inches of snow this morning...running low (about 10 bags left of 3 ton), may have to run down the road and a few more if it stays like this..... :(

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Apr. 07, 2007 8:31 am

The only inconvenient thing about Al is Al! :twisted:

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sat. Apr. 07, 2007 8:48 am

stockingfull wrote:
gaw wrote:Coal boilers never go out in the coal region! I will continue to keep the coal burning until I have warmed the atmosphere enough that we have no more winters in the northeast and I can plant my orange grove. Then and only then is it really the end.
I've long thought that power generation should be concentrated in clean (scrubbed) coal and nukes, saving the liquid fossils for mobile uses. It's all well and good for Al to point out the "inconvenient truth" but where are the answers??
Some of the answers are in this book:
**Broken Link(s) Removed**An enlightening book with a new perspective on energy. We are a long way from using up all petroleum energy in the world. The politicians control any reduction in global warming. The frightening science of it is predicting when we will reach the tipping point. That point in which nothing we do on earth will matter. The solar heat input will be so great, due to changes in the protective atmosphere, that global warming is a run away event. Widespread use of nuclear energy would help. The most likely long term solution will be one that somehow uses photosynthesis directly. That's a long long way off. Interesting research is being done a Oak Ridge National Labs. They have sequenced the Populus genome. It's the equivalent of the human genome sequencing only for woody plants. This is a really big deal. It will potentially permit altering trees like the poplar or willow to sequester carbon it the roots and make bio-fuel from what grows above ground. Download info about the research here:

http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/v40_1_07/v40_ ... review.pdf

Give a copy to your kids or grand children. The subject would make a great school science project.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Apr. 07, 2007 8:52 am

It's been 30's to low 40's during the day and low 20's at night, with snow flurries every day but nothing more than a half an inch at a time.

Have not refired the coal stoves, the garage has been down to 42 and the house got as low as 53 one night. I figure if I don't give in this cold weather will go away! Good thing I'm not stubborn eh? :lol:

Can't wait for next year when the coal boiler will make any weather change a moot point.

Going to Atlanta on Wednesday and then Orlando right away when I get back. By the time those two trips are done I figure it will have warmed up. :hotsun: :glasses7:

gambler

Post by gambler » Sat. Apr. 07, 2007 9:07 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:The only inconvenient thing about Al is Al! :twisted:

Attachments

Gore_Bill.jpg
.JPG | 73.1KB | Gore_Bill.jpg
whitehouse_2008.jpg

Billary 2008

.JPG | 58.3KB | whitehouse_2008.jpg
Last edited by gambler on Sat. Apr. 07, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Apr. 07, 2007 10:35 am

Gambler:

Love the 4 dollar bill!

W'nC

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”