What is the Correct Setting For CFT on a Coal-Trol

devon570

Post by devon570 » Mon. Feb. 01, 2010 5:44 pm

What is the correct setting for the cft on the poconos ? the factory setting is 8 but what does the numbers do for the stove under what condition do you have to increase or decrease the numbers this is my first season with the stove and I was having a hard time with clinkers .

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Feb. 01, 2010 5:52 pm

CFT is the convection fan motor speed in percentage. Meaning 8 is 8% of 100 which would be full fan speed.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Feb. 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Convection Fan Threshold - Min Feed Rate that the Convection Blower will start. YOu really don't need to mess with it too much. Increasing the CFT will cause the blower to come on later (as stove gets hotter). I wouldn't go too much higher, maybe 15-30 (if that.).

SO, if your Feed Rate is at least 8, then the blower will start moving, It goes along with the CFM, which is the MIN. Speed % of the blower. Some blowers don't like to start at slow speeds, so a CFM of 30 would be 30% of full speed as it's min. operating speed.

I know the guys from CoalTrol will chime in for more details. :)

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Mon. Feb. 01, 2010 9:13 pm

WNY is correct. The default is 8 which implies the feed motor is running 8 sec out of every 100 sec). So when the coal trol sees there is a minimal need for heat, the control reduces your feed rate to save you coal. When this "8" feed rate is reached by the control, the two convection fans stop running. This is ok providing your feed rate is low, like 8 since the heat output of the coal is pretty low.

As you set the CFT to a higher # than 8 (up to 15, it cannot go higher for safety purposes), the fans stop at a higher feed rate in the above scenario, this implies that your stoker outside walls will get somewhat hotter since the convection fans are no longer operating. The 15 limit ensures that the stove top does'nt start sagging due to excess heat. (:/

The nice thing setting the unit up for CFT "8" or so is that when you have a warm day and when your house is terribly warm, having the coal trol turning off the convection fans raises the exhaust temp to maintain a stronger draft since the heat you previously pulled off the stove by the fans is now going up the exhaust. At 8 you will not likely overheat the unit.

I personally keep my CFT at 0 since I like the fact that the fans are always on.

I had the same question and called up the Coal Trol guys, Super people they are just like the LL crew! You done good with the Pocono, ask away your questions, we're here top help!

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Tue. Feb. 02, 2010 3:43 am

Hi Devon570,

Here's the deal on CFT. Default is 8. The value set is the FR at which the fan will first start. So default of 8 means when the FR reaches 8 it will kick on. If the FR makes a large move to or past 8 from a lower setting, it may take a few minutes for it to actually start up since the fan control will "lag" the FR control (this is to allow heat to build up before turning on, and for heat to be blown off when FR is falling). If you find the heat it is blowing out is too cold for your liking, you can adjust this setting up to delay it coming on until the stove has more heat cranking. And if you want the fan to come on at lower heat output levels, reduce the setting.

CFM is the minimum speed the fan will run at. If you find the convection motor can not stay going at when it first comes on, then increase this number by 10 or so. On certain stoves, such as the LL Econo and the Keystoker Koker, we recommend setting this value to it's highest setting (50) in order to help prevent the fan from overheating. Overheating can occur either due to placement of the fan/motor (on the econo it is high on the back of the stove which gets hot, thus benefiting from a high minimum speed) or the fan needs a higher speed to self-cool properly (such as on the Koker). It can't hurt to increase this setting, but decreasing it should be done with care as you can set it low enough that the motor "stalls". 30 should be good for the majority of fans out there. If the motor housing gets hot to the touch, you may want to try increasing this setting to see if it helps.

devon570

Post by devon570 » Tue. Feb. 02, 2010 7:40 pm

wow thanks a lot guys I realy do appreaciate the quick response what would I do without this forum :lol: .I will just keep it on 8 thank you all.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”