Pounds Per Day Used?

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Tue. May. 12, 2009 10:04 am

Berlin:

The new load is from valier and it seems really low ash,but is small in size.

I burn the Thompson Bros. nut coal which is on the large side and it has

some larger iron layers in it,but burns real good.I was mixing the two

together to get more air spaces in the fire for a longer burn time,but still

the ash limits how long I can go between ashing.It has been cold here in

the 30's at night so were still using heat,so my usage is still up.I can go with

one filling a day with a ashing half way between the cycle.

BigBarney

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Mon. Jun. 01, 2009 8:09 pm

December Usage: ---------------------------------- * February Usage:-------------------------------*April Usage:--------------------------

Coal used: Bituminous Nut 2640# ----------------* Coal used: Bituminous Nut 2268#------------*Bituminous House & Nut 1476#---

Ash: 315# -------------------------------------------* Ash: 269#---------------------------------------*Ash: 186#-----------------------------

Ash%: 11.9% ---------------------------------------- * Ash%: 11.86%----------------------------------*Ash%: 12.6%---------------------------

Degree Days: 1002 --------------------------------- * Degree Days: 961-----------------------------*Degree Days:513----------------------

# Used/degree day: 2.64# -------------------------* # Used/degree day: 2.36#--------------------*# used/degree day: 2.88#----------

Or----2.32# less Ash ---------------------------------* Or----2.08# less Ash--------------------------* Or----2.52# less Ash----------------

January Usage:----------------------------------------*March Usage:-------------------------------------May Usage:---------------------------

Coal used: Bituminous Nut 2951#-------------------*Coal used;Bituminous house & Nut 1976#-----*Coal used: Bituminous house&Nut 1211#

Ash: 328#----------------------------------------------*Ash: 192#------------------------------------------*Ash:157#------------------------------------

Ash%: 11.12%------------------------------------------*Ash%: 9.7%-----------------------------------------*Ash%: 13%----------------------------------

Degree Days: 1341------------------------------------*Degree Days: 874---------------------------------*Degree Days: 239-------------------------

# Used/degree day: 2.20#----------------------------*#Used/degree day: 2.26#------------------------*# Used/degree day: 5.07#--------------

Or-----1.96# Less Ash---------------------------------*Or-----2.04# less Ash-----------------------------*Or-----4.41# less Ash--------------------

BigBarney

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Mon. Jul. 20, 2009 10:26 am

December Usage: ---------------------------------- * February Usage:-------------------------------*April Usage:--------------------------

Coal used: Bituminous Nut 2640# ----------------* Coal used: Bituminous Nut 2268#------------*Bituminous House & Nut 1476#---

Ash: 315# -------------------------------------------* Ash: 269#---------------------------------------*Ash: 186#-----------------------------

Ash%: 11.9% ---------------------------------------- * Ash%: 11.86%----------------------------------*Ash%: 12.6%---------------------------

Degree Days: 1002 --------------------------------- * Degree Days: 961-----------------------------*Degree Days:513----------------------

# Used/degree day: 2.64# -------------------------* # Used/degree day: 2.36#--------------------*# used/degree day: 2.88#----------

Or----2.32# less Ash ---------------------------------* Or----2.08# less Ash--------------------------* Or----2.52# less Ash----------------

January Usage:----------------------------------------*March Usage:-------------------------------------May Usage:---------------------------

Coal used: Bituminous Nut 2951#-------------------*Coal used;Bituminous house & Nut 1976#-----*Coal used: Bituminous house&Nut 1211#

Ash: 328#----------------------------------------------*Ash: 192#------------------------------------------*Ash:157#------------------------------------

Ash%: 11.12%------------------------------------------*Ash%: 9.7%-----------------------------------------*Ash%: 13%----------------------------------

Degree Days: 1341------------------------------------*Degree Days: 874---------------------------------*Degree Days: 239-------------------------

# Used/degree day: 2.20#----------------------------*#Used/degree day: 2.26#------------------------*# Used/degree day: 5.07#--------------

Or-----1.96# Less Ash---------------------------------*Or-----2.04# less Ash-----------------------------*Or-----4.41# less Ash--------------------

June Usage:--------------------------------------------July Usage:-----------------------------------------August Usage:-------------------------------

Coal used: Bituminous Nut 1129#-------------------*Coal used;Bituminous house & Nut #-----*Coal used: Bituminous house&Nut #

Ash: 231#----------------------------------------------*Ash: #------------------------------------------*Ash:#------------------------------------

Ash%: 20%----------------------------------------------*Ash%: %----------------------------------------*Ash%: %----------------------------------

Degree Days: 0069------------------------------------*Degree Days: ---------------------------------*Degree Days: -------------------------

# Used/degree day: 16.36#---------------------------*#Used/degree day: #------------------------*# Used/degree day: #--------------

Or-----13.01# Less Ash--------------------------------*Or-----# less Ash-----------------------------*Or-----# less Ash--------------------

In June really no space heating so all for DHW.

Ash is very high in the new coal and a lot of fines and rocks.

BigBarney

pret

Post by pret » Fri. Feb. 19, 2010 12:26 am

Hi everyone... been a long time since I've been on the forum! I see much has happened since I've been away! Definitely good to be back!

I have a bit of a problem... I burn Summit coal and I'm attempting to determine what I burn per day. I had 8200lbs delivered in the fall of last year, but all this coal fit in two 4x4x4 bins and a bin made from half of a 275 gallon oil tank for home heating oil.

Well, according to my bin dimensions, the two 4x4x4 bins hold 128 cubic feet of pea coal, and the oil tank holds about 18.38 cubic feet of pea coal. Doing the simple math, I added up my available cubic feet of storage that I just mentioned and determined that I have ABOUT 147 cubic feet of storage. But if I divide the tonnage that I was delivered by the cubic feet I have, giving me pounds per cubic feet, I determine that I'm storing coal at 55.78 lbs per cubic foot. IF I divide a ton - 2000lbs - by 55.78 lb/ft^3, I get that my coal only takes up a space of 35.85 ft^3

I guess what I am wondering is can the density of coal be so different from the average that my coal could weigh 5 lbs more per cubic foot than the average?

If so, then cool. That means that I have an average consumption (from Sept 9, 09 - Feb 20, 2010) of 40 lbs per day. Now, I have burnt about 32 cubic feet of coal since Jan 27th 2010. This means that I have had a daily burn rate of 74.37 lbs per day heating a new construction and dhw for a family of 5. New construction has 2450 square feet in first and second floors and about 800 in the finished basement. R40 in the ceilings and R19 exterior walls. This sound feasible with the temps in Central pa the last 3 weeks (usually in the low teens at night and mid 20's during the day.)?

Pret

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Feb. 19, 2010 3:50 am

i just divide my coal receipts, lbs by number of days.....wish I could afford to stock up, can only afford one truckload at a time which usually run 2400-3400 lbs depending on what kinda bucks I got......when pay is good, the thermostat goes up, to 62 when i'm in the shop and 68 in my room..... when it isnt, the shop is set at 48 and my room at 60......wind goes right thru this old place, so it gets expensive to heat.....i'm praying that this summer I can afford to do some insulating.

250 lbs a day for the efm and the alaska 1-29 to 2-13......the alaska is probably 70 lbs a day of that.......should be much less on this load, since it isnt as cold

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Feb. 19, 2010 11:06 am

pret wrote:Hi everyone... been a long time since I've been on the forum! I see much has happened since I've been away! Definitely good to be back!

I have a bit of a problem... I burn Summit coal and I'm attempting to determine what I burn per day. I had 8200lbs delivered in the fall of last year, but all this coal fit in two 4x4x4 bins and a bin made from half of a 275 gallon oil tank for home heating oil.

Well, according to my bin dimensions, the two 4x4x4 bins hold 128 cubic feet of pea coal, and the oil tank holds about 18.38 cubic feet of pea coal. Doing the simple math, I added up my available cubic feet of storage that I just mentioned and determined that I have ABOUT 147 cubic feet of storage. But if I divide the tonnage that I was delivered by the cubic feet I have, giving me pounds per cubic feet, I determine that I'm storing coal at 55.78 lbs per cubic foot. IF I divide a ton - 2000lbs - by 55.78 lb/ft^3, I get that my coal only takes up a space of 35.85 ft^3

I guess what I am wondering is can the density of coal be so different from the average that my coal could weigh 5 lbs more per cubic foot than the average?

If so, then cool. That means that I have an average consumption (from Sept 9, 09 - Feb 20, 2010) of 40 lbs per day. Now, I have burnt about 32 cubic feet of coal since Jan 27th 2010. This means that I have had a daily burn rate of 74.37 lbs per day heating a new construction and dhw for a family of 5. New construction has 2450 square feet in first and second floors and about 800 in the finished basement. R40 in the ceilings and R19 exterior walls. This sound feasible with the temps in Central pa the last 3 weeks (usually in the low teens at night and mid 20's during the day.)?

Pret
Anthracite can weigh from 48lbs per sq ft up to 59lbs per sq ft your coal is 51 to 53 lbs per sq ft. A ton can be 40 cu ft. to
43 cu ft. so a 4x4x4 = 64 cu ft box will hold 1.6 tons at 40 cu ft. x two = 3.2 tons.
At 43 cu ft per ton box will hold 1.4 tons x two 2.9 tons

Coal in PA

Post by Coal in PA » Sun. Feb. 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Would anyone happen to have a VF3000 system? I am thinking about installing one but I',m not sure if this will be enough to heat 2300 sqft. I have an existing oil burner unit that provides hot water baseboard heat and domestic hot water. I typically burn about 1000 gallons of oil per year. Also, since we have an 80 acre farm, I was thinking about creating a 25 ton stock pile of rice coal in order to lock in at $150-160/ton. According to my calculations, this should provide me with about a 5 to 6 year supply of fuel. Would anyone happen to know how much surface area a 25 ton load of rice coal would take up?

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”