Ash Disposal?

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 10:43 pm

I dump it loose in a few large trash cans. Trash man hauls it away every week.

Heh... nuclear cloud when he dumps them in the back of the truck. :P
Sure stops them from picking through our trash being nosy!

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 11:36 pm

Bonehead wrote:I dump it loose in a few large trash cans. Trash man hauls it away every week.

Heh... nuclear cloud when he dumps them in the back of the truck. :P
Sure stops them from picking through our trash being nosy!
Funny; previous owner told me that's how he did it. Trash boys weren't as happy, though, for the above reason. So I switched to emptying my 15 gal ash bins directly into plastic contractor bags. Bags are just the right size to make a good seal over the ash bin; I actually can do it inside (as long as I keep the bin from dropping back into the bag!).

And my weight ratio is almost exactly what John's (Yanche's) is; I'm weighing ash out this year and average 35-40# out for 220-250# in.

beemerboy

Post by beemerboy » Sat. Mar. 08, 2008 8:47 am

Coal Jockey wrote:I've been using them as driveway "sand". Excess has just been added to the manure pile..
I'm into coal home delivery, and have a stated policy of taking back the coal ash for a ten dollar yearly fee; the customer must cool the ashes and then rebag them in the coal bags and I'll take them away when I do their deliveries. No Nails or Rubbish!! I hope to build a small screener to salvage the unburnt/partly burnt coals and then do as others have suggested in adding the ash to potholes in my farm lanes. I also thought I might try mixing a trial batch of concrete (wheelbarrow full) and incorporating coal ash as part of the sand percentage...
One website (I don't remember which one) I looked at mentioned 5 to 10% by weight of cement to coal ash. They didn't say anything about sand. I may try to make a batch or two to try it. After all, what's the worst thing that could happen?

SemperFi

Post by SemperFi » Mon. Nov. 03, 2008 9:32 pm

I buy some baged coal in plastic bags, they work great for filling and adding to the regular trash bags. Seldom do I ever dump ashes on my property. This process also lends itself handy to sifting the ashes for unburnt coal as it must cool before it goes in the plastic bags.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 4:47 am

Around here all household trash goes to PERC, Penobscot Energy Recovery Company and gets burned to make electricity. Ash has zero BTU's so they don't want it. Some towns have it in writing: No ash in trash. Of course anything that is disguised goes. Sometimes a bag will get left at your house if it rips and forbidden trash is discovered. Then.... it needs a better disguise. I'll either fill potholes with my ash or put it in empty egg cartons and out to PERC it goes. My cholesterol may go up if my potholes get filled.

billw

Post by billw » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 8:14 am

I already had a couple of people ask me if they can have my ashes. I think I'll run an auction. :)

arcticcatmatt

Post by arcticcatmatt » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 8:43 am

I take my ash to the local highway department and dump it into their huge ash pile. They use it on the roads here in the winter. They buy the ash from the power plant... so my ash is a free donation :D

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 8:46 am

so my ash is a free donation
Sounds more like a tax deduction to me :)

UpStateMike

Post by UpStateMike » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 11:40 am

I just plan on spreading it in the driveway. My wood stove ash bucket from the garage is another thing. Who knows what else lurks in there? Nails, beer caps, cigarette butts, etc... That is not going into my garden or driveway, but usually gets dumped over the bank near my outdoor firepit.

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 6:56 pm

JerseyCoal wrote:Here in New Jersey, a state well known for political corruption as well as mob influence in the waste management business, my sanitation crew has advised me as follows: "We'll take anything, as long as it's in a black plastic bag. Even dead bodies!"
AAAAAY!!! wadda youse talkin about, we don't talk about that stuff around here. :rambo2: Besides Christopher don't put it in da trash he just cuts it up and mixes it with the other bones behind Satrials'. Fogettaboutit

JohnnyAsbury

Post by JohnnyAsbury » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 8:42 pm

Ive found a couple of potholes to fill in on my way to work in the early morning hours. I don't even have to wait for the ash to cool... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tvb

Post by tvb » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 1:10 pm

On a whim, I posted a listing on Craigslist under free stuff for anyone who wanted the ash I generate and got an overwhelming response. Got rid of a couple of barrels of it today and have a waiting list for the next load already.

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Interesting. Any of these takers telling you what they're doing with it?

tvb

Post by tvb » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 1:25 pm

Traction on ice for long driveways.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 1:48 pm

I offered to my neighbor. He has a steep icy driveway. Now I don't have enough for me.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”