Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Oct. 26, 2011 2:20 pm

Hey EWF,

Did you round up a coil yet?

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 6:52 am

bug512 wrote:Just a update.. going on the third heating season with this domestic coil setup and all has been going very well. The original (free) storage tank started to leak and was replaced with a newer (craigslist special) 80 gallon tank.

If you are feeling handy and want to heat up some water then try this project.

Good luck and if you have any questions please ask.
That is great, thanks for sharring.
Have you noticed significant savings ?
Keith

bug512

Post by bug512 » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 8:33 am

Hello Keith, we have noticed great savings. When the stove is running this time of year the water in the storage tanks runs at 95-105, when colder outside temperatures cause the stove the stove to run more (hotter) the storage tank temperature will be around 115-125.

This makes the furnace (oil) to run less since the water going to it is that much warmer then what comes in form the city.

We use around 150 gallons of oil a year to heat our domestic hot water and heat the house in early fall and late spring when the coal stove is not running.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 6:57 pm

bug512 wrote:Hello Keith, we have noticed great savings. When the stove is running this time of year the water in the storage tanks runs at 95-105, when colder outside temperatures cause the stove the stove to run more (hotter) the storage tank temperature will be around 115-125.

This makes the furnace (oil) to run less since the water going to it is that much warmer then what comes in form the city.

We use around 150 gallons of oil a year to heat our domestic hot water and heat the house in early fall and late spring when the coal stove is not running.
My application for dhw is via an electric water heater, I think this would work well in my situation also. It has been awhile since I researched it but I am thinking on average an electric water heater costs from $30.00 to $50.00 a month, I may be wrong as I am pulling those numbers from memory. My newest hobby among the several I have is to keep the utility and oil company's out of my pocket, this may be another way to do just that by using the heat already there.I might have to start looking and gathering parts to do this project as well.
Thanks again Bug

Keith

bug512

Post by bug512 » Wed. Nov. 30, 2011 7:57 pm

Keith, pick up a couple items up a month. Before you know it you will have all the parts and pieces you need. Since fin tube and pipe are copper it is very expensive right now.

What kind of coal stove do you have now ?

Gene

echos67

Post by echos67 » Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 5:53 pm

bug512 wrote:Keith, pick up a couple items up a month. Before you know it you will have all the parts and pieces you need. Since fin tube and pipe are copper it is very expensive right now.

Gene
Gene, the 2 stoves I have now wont work with what you have done, however I am always looking for ways to keep the utility and oil company's out of my pocket (I think this is my new hobby). Since this is my first year with a coal stove and I havent even lit it off yet I may be putting the cart before the horse but if this coal heat is everything that all the people on here say it is, then I am looking down the road at possibly getting a stoker or similar for my basement. I have been intrigued by heating domestic water for quite sometime since mine is heated with electric. I did some research a year or so ago and found an average of costs to heat water with electric and if I remeber correctly it was between $30 and $50 a month, if I can do this with something creating heat for my house then it sounds like a win-win.
There seem to be alot of options on which way I can go, but I can always keep an eye out for cheap parts to do another project :D .

bug512

Post by bug512 » Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Keep a eye out for a used stoker stove. Just recently we installed a KAA-2 in a friends house, he then sold his 90K stoker on craigs list. It went in about five hours.

I have oil steam heat, not that it gets used since we have the coal stove but I am thinking of replacing it with a KA-6.

I just dug out my oil and coal receipts from 2003, this is the first year we have paid over $1,000 for four tons of coal. It's still much cheeper then oil. In 1999 when we moved in oil averaged .80 cents a gallon, that first full year we used over $1,200 of oil.

Best of luck with your future coal use.

Oh, it's 35 outside and 74 in my living room !!

echos67

Post by echos67 » Thu. Dec. 01, 2011 9:02 pm

bug512 wrote:Keep a eye out for a used stoker stove. Just recently we installed a KAA-2 in a friends house, he then sold his 90K stoker on craigs list. It went in about five hours. I will have to get back to checking CL every so often once I educate myself more on what to get for my application.

I have oil steam heat, not that it gets used since we have the coal stove but I am thinking of replacing it with a KA-6. Oil fired boiler here with radiators throughout that only gets used in the worst cases. Wood is in use here so far this year, the pellet stoves go on-line when it gets cold. I hope to finish installing the Summit stove in the basement this weekend and start a coal fire in it Saturday.

I just dug out my oil and coal receipts from 2003, this is the first year we have paid over $1,000 for four tons of coal. It's still much cheeper then oil. In 1999 when we moved in oil averaged .80 cents a gallon, that first full year we used over $1,200 of oil. $3.65 a gallon here today if a person has to buy it, tomorrow it may change but it never changes to the consumers favor. Last year I used 6 tons of Pellets, cost me $1400.00 and at the end I was trying to keep from buying more, plus I burnt wood in the spring and fall, and still had to run the boiler once in a great while. Doing all that cut my costs in half from the previous year using only the oil boiler, so you can see why I am searching alternatives.

Best of luck with your future coal use. Thanks

Oh, it's 35 outside and 74 in my living room !!
Now your just showing off :D I have filled the wood stove atleast 3 times already this evening and will load it up again before going to bed, then I can wake up to a cool house :roll: .

coal bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds machine basement#4 stove with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Propane

Post by coal bob » Sun. Dec. 04, 2011 9:10 am

bug512 wrote:Keith, pick up a couple items up a month. Before you know it you will have all the parts and pieces you need. Since fin tube and pipe are copper it is very expensive right now.

Gene
gene were did you pick up the fin tube.. thanks bob

bug512

Post by bug512 » Sun. Dec. 04, 2011 8:36 pm

I believe it was Lowes.

georgedj

Post by georgedj » Fri. Nov. 30, 2012 7:58 pm

I think thats a great idea

bug512

Post by bug512 » Fri. Nov. 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks! The December 2012 update.. Still running great 108 deg water today. The oil fired boiler barley runs.

Let me know if any of you have questions.

georgedj

Post by georgedj » Fri. Nov. 30, 2012 8:50 pm

bug512 wrote:Thanks! The December 2012 update.. Still running great 108 deg water today. The oil fired boiler barley runs.

Let me know if any of you have questions.
I have one when could I come over and see it LOL

I have a home with 6 people and not sure if I would have enough hot water but it would prob still help the electric bill

bug512

Post by bug512 » Fri. Nov. 30, 2012 8:54 pm

WOW, six people! That is a lot but I'm sure you all do not take a shower one after the other? Maybe? If so or not The capacity of the "storage tank" is 80 Gallons.

Email me when you would like to stop over. How can you not want to talk about coal stoves !

[email protected]

georgedj

Post by georgedj » Sat. Dec. 01, 2012 6:22 pm

bug512 wrote:WOW, six people! That is a lot but I'm sure you all do not take a shower one after the other? Maybe? If so or not The capacity of the "storage tank" is 80 Gallons.

Email me when you would like to stop over. How can you not want to talk about coal stoves !

[email protected]
Wanted to know why you went that route insteadof drilling and installing internal coil

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”