Black Stove Pipe Longivity

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Tue. Sep. 08, 2009 9:28 pm

Folks--

How long does your black stove pipe last? How many seasons?

I am lucky to get two seasons out of the *off the shelf stove pipe fittings* sold at the big box stores. But I do believe the pipe takes more abuse over the summer sitting on the cellar floor disconnected than it does in the winter while in use. My manometer is rusted real bad too after letting it sit in cellar with the summer humidity. But I did summerize my stove so she is clean.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Sep. 08, 2009 9:35 pm

Cap wrote:Folks--

I am lucky to get two seasons out of the *off the shelf stove pipe fittings* sold at the big box stores. But I do believe the pipe takes more abuse over the summer sitting on the cellar floor disconnected than it does in the winter while in use. My manometer is rusted real bad too after letting it sit in cellar with the summer humidity. But I did summerize my stove so she is clean.
depends on the gauge of the pipe and if you disconnect it from the stove and chimney clean it out good spray some good
oil inside & outside stuff it & wrap it with newspaper keeps the moisture out you will have it for years

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Sep. 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Years ago I replaced my retail 24/26 gauge black pipe with stainless on my Buderus hand fed. My present installation is over 10 years old with no noticeable wear,and I do not clean it before the fall 1st burn! I did have trouble finding the correct configuration for my Keystoker 90 TV, and will be buying 22 gauge black pipe. I will paint the new pipe inside and out. I expect 5 to 7 years with proper maintenance (spring cleaning).

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Tue. Sep. 08, 2009 9:38 pm

2001Sierra wrote:Years ago I replaced my retail 24/26 gauge black pipe with stainless on my Buderus hand fed. My present installation is over 10 years old with no noticeable wear,and I do not clean it before the fall 1st burn! I did have trouble finding the correct configuration for my Keystoker 90 TV, and will be buying 22 gauge black pipe. I will paint the new pipe inside and out. I expect 5 to 7 years with proper maintenance (spring cleaning).
22 ga is good but 18 ga is better if you can find it . Spring cleaning is the key to longivity with the pipe & stove
Last edited by coal berner on Tue. Sep. 08, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Tue. Sep. 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Cap, don't let it set on your celler floor. Damp air settles to the lower-level of the house.This may sound strange, but store it in your attic. Its hot and dry up there. When you get it back in the fall, it'll look as good as when you put it up there. :D

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Tue. Sep. 08, 2009 10:03 pm

DVC500 at last wrote:

Cap, don't let it set on your celler floor. Damp air settles to the lower-level of the house.This may sound strange, but store it in your attic. Its hot and dry up there. When you get it back in the fall, it'll look as good as when you put it up there. :D
Good advice DC. I tend to get lazy come spring and forget to properly protect the stove pipe. It just cost be another $50, being lazy that is. And JC, you rather off stuff like we all can buy the heavy gauge pipe. Like I said, big box store pipe is all I know. It is probably the same as the mail order. It's all made of cheap recycled tin spray painted black imported. I'll have to use the newspaper and store out in the shed or attic after a good internal cleaning.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Tue. Sep. 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Cap wrote:
DVC500 at last wrote: Cap, don't let it set on your celler floor. Damp air settles to the lower-level of the house.This may sound strange, but store it in your attic. Its hot and dry up there. When you get it back in the fall, it'll look as good as when you put it up there. :D
Good advice DC. I tend to get lazy come spring and forget to properly protect the stove pipe. It just cost be another $50, being lazy that is. And JC, you rather off stuff like we all can buy the heavy gauge pipe. Like I said, big box store pipe is all I know. It is probably the same as the mail order. It's all made of cheap recycled tin spray painted black imported. I'll have to use the newspaper and store out in the shed or attic after a good internal cleaning.
The box stores sell 24ga black The Galv. is 26 Ga You are 45 mins away from me take a ride up I will take you to a
hardware store that has 22Ga And some 18Ga black pipe or to a friends sheet metal he will make you whatever ga type of metal you want there is no reason you have to buy the cheap crap unless you like to replace it every few years alwell as your firebrick that you replace every year spend the extra money and buy the soapstone fire bricks or the ceramic firbricks they will last you a life time . Spend the extra now and be done or keep spending your money on the cheap crap
It is that simple. I never mail order any stove pipe I never had to & never would .

steveyrock

Post by steveyrock » Sun. Sep. 13, 2009 6:19 pm

anyone know how long the cheap pipe will last if kept hot all year on a boiler?

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sun. Sep. 13, 2009 6:27 pm

it will last until the first time moisture is introduced to the pipe, plus one year.

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 3:05 pm

one maybe 2 years + i remove + place in my attic. i tried some thin stainless + the heavier gauge black last time + 2-3 years only + now its $$$$$ so back to the basic black pipes. got some heavier galvanized from a local sheet metal shop for a little more $$$ again 2 years. anyone using a "cost efficient" coating? glad i can DIY install about 2 hrs. got 2 4 ft 6" dura black @ home depot.com about $40 delivered + 2 elbows for $35 in store, at least they wont pop apart + the heat fab 22ga i last used went for 3 years is about a C note for ONE 4 footer!!!!! talk about price gouging these days!!!!! i know coal is up but using less than 2 ton a heating season is a LOT cheaper than anything but wood which i see as a PITA!!!! although i burn wood in my garage stove when working-playing there in Pa winters.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 7:03 pm

rodhotter wrote:
Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 3:05 pm
one maybe 2 years + i remove + place in my attic. i tried some thin stainless + the heavier gauge black last time + 2-3 years only + now its $$$$$ so back to the basic black pipes. got some heavier galvanized from a local sheet metal shop for a little more $$$ again 2 years. anyone using a "cost efficient" coating? glad i can DIY install about 2 hrs. got 2 4 ft 6" dura black @ home depot.com about $40 delivered + 2 elbows for $35 in store, at least they wont pop apart + the heat fab 22ga i last used went for 3 years is about a C note for ONE 4 footer!!!!! talk about price gouging these days!!!!! i know coal is up but using less than 2 ton a heating season is a LOT cheaper than anything but wood which i see as a PITA!!!! although i burn wood in my garage stove when working-playing there in Pa winters.
Find some well casing, that will last a long time!

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 7:45 pm

Running a boiler year round I replaced my first elbow this year. It lasted 16 years. The off season kills the stove pipe. Find a place with zero humidity to store it. Good luck with that.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 8:06 am

When you take your pipe down to clean it. Put back up and burn a load of wood.
Then remove for the season.

Last and first fire, ends and starts with wood.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 8:12 am

The black pipe on my efm did fine for 10 years and still looked good when I removed it. I only replaced it because I moved the boiler and needed a different pipe configuration.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 9:58 am

Cap wrote:
Tue. Sep. 08, 2009 9:28 pm
Mine last about 10 yrs or more.I run a dehumidifier in summer, not for my pipes benefit but to minimize boiler rust which can be substantial and way more costly than a stove pipe or 2.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”