Direct Connect Collar Harman Elite Coal

coalwarmth

Post by coalwarmth » Mon. Nov. 27, 2006 9:18 pm

questions on installing Harman Magnafire Elite coal insert:
using the Direct connect collar, has anyone used a sealant / gasket or other method to seal against stove?
What size pipe did you use to connect to the collar?
How far did you run up the chimney with a liner?
Which size coal do you burn? It is rated for pea through Stove but what have you found works best?

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Mon. Nov. 27, 2006 9:44 pm

You wrote:
has anyone used a sealant / gasket or other method to seal against stove?

Typically it is not necessary to seal the stove pipe connections. Simple metal to metal with screws holding it all together works well. No draft will be lost.

What size pipe did you use to connect to the collar?
It is reconmended to use the same size stove pipe and liner as the outlet of the appliance. In your case, this would be 7"

How far did you run up the chimney with a liner?
I always believed the liner should run to the very top with the top cap/spark arrestor firmly connected to the liner.

Which size coal do you burn?

If your Harman is anything like my Harman had fired unit, I prefer stove or large nut. The nut recently being produced by Jetto ( mining company )has been smaller the last few years. It tends to get caught in the grates on my units.. I have had better luck with stove size coal although the cost per ton may be slightly higher.

coalwarmth

Post by coalwarmth » Tue. Nov. 28, 2006 10:55 am

Typically it is not necessary to seal the stove pipe connections. Simple metal to metal with screws holding it all together works well. No draft will be lost.

The Direct Connect Base for that stove does not have a way to be screwed down to the stove. There is a handle that protrudes forward and can be held with one screw to keep it in place but that would not hold the collar to the stove pipe adequately to prevent and leaking.
Yes I am aware that draft should suffice. I'm talking safety.
I was planning on running the liner up about 6' to reach the first clasy flue liner which is 7" x 12" ID

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Nov. 28, 2006 11:04 am

Can you post a photo so we can see what you mean about the 'handle that protrudes forward'??

If you run about 5-6' of pipe up the chimney, and block all air around the pipe where it goes through the fireplace damper, you should be OK. It won't draft as strong as a full height liner, but should work OK when the weather is cool-to-cold.

Greg L

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”