Glass Cleaner

elkvu

Post by elkvu » Mon. Nov. 20, 2006 8:24 pm

I RECENTLY READ ABOUT WEINMAN'S GLASS CLEANINR FOR COAL BURNERS.WHERE CAN I PURCHASE THIS AND WHAT IS THE EXACT NAME OF THE PRODUCT .THANKS

Gary in Pennsylvania

Post by Gary in Pennsylvania » Mon. Nov. 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Heck....I just open the door and rub the inside of the glass once a week with wadded up newspaper and then just chuck the wad on the coals when I'm done.
Presto cleanso!

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Tue. Nov. 21, 2006 6:28 am

Try Turtle Wax compound in the green tub. Works really good and cost less then $2.00 at Wally World.

reicharb

Post by reicharb » Sat. Mar. 03, 2007 8:03 am

The glass on the front of my stove was really pitted and cloudy. I couldn't find anything that would clean it. I thought I had nothing to lose so I took a piece of 150 sandpaper to it. It worked great!

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Mar. 03, 2007 8:21 am

Gary, I tried the newspaper trick, it was a no-go for me. This was on a new piece of glass in a LeisureLine Pioneer burning only about a 1.5" fire, just above an idle.

Mark, I have some car cleaner/polish, I'll give it a try, I assume only on a cool/cold glass surface??

I may try rubbing compound too....

It's tough stuff! 150 grit sandpaper, wet/dry type??

Greg L

PS: elkvu, please turn off the CAPS LOCK on your keyboard. Typing in all caps is considered YELLING. Hard on the eyes too. :) thanks

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Mar. 03, 2007 11:50 am

The Rutland ceramic stove top cleaner works great (Home Depot). Even on hot glass it cuts the fly ash and leaves a perfectly clean surface. I tried the rubbing compund, definitely doesn't work on hot glass!

My next step is to install a stainless fine mesh screen in front of the glass like the new Alaska stoves. Then I won't have to clean it as often.

Just love watching that blue flame! :lol:

reicharb

Post by reicharb » Sat. Mar. 03, 2007 3:59 pm

It's tough stuff! 150 grit sandpaper, wet/dry type??
Dry...I do it hot..about evey other week or so.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Mar. 14, 2007 7:02 pm

I was in the shop looking for something, and ran across my can of SemiChrome polish, used for polishing the nickel and brass trim on old cars, and antiques. It can be used to polish silver as well.

On cold but opaque glass, I just applied the liquid polish, and rubbed it around and wiped it off, the glass was clean as new. I had tried a razor blade, newspaper and was thinking about an abrasive pad, but didn't want to scratch the glass.

I'll try to find my car polish with wax in it, and see if it works as well as this product did.

Greg L.

Last edited by LsFarm on Fri. Mar. 16, 2007 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. Mar. 15, 2007 11:54 pm

Does anyone have the clean glass sytem (two layers of glass), if so does it work?

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Fri. Mar. 16, 2007 9:15 pm

I have the clean glass system from Alaska which has the split pane glass. The system also comes with a piece of 316L stainless 12/12 mesh screen which goes between the glass and the stoker. As for the split glass it is useless. My stove is new this year and I clean the glass at leat twice a week and it is already starting to get etched. The screen helps to keep the amount of fly on the glass down but its not worth the $100 bucks extra it costs.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Mar. 16, 2007 10:45 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess I won't add that feature anytime soon. I have the screen too but for some reason I don't use it.
Last edited by traderfjp on Fri. Mar. 16, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri. Mar. 16, 2007 11:11 pm

For all of you beer drinkers out there that have a home draft system and use a product called beer line cleaner to clean the tubing on your draft system. Have you used the beer line cleaner to clean your glass? I use it on the glass of my corn stove and it works great but I will not be able to try it on my coal stove until I get it installed next fall. If you have some beer line cleaner it may be worth a try.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Mar. 17, 2007 2:49 am

HEY guys try vinegar & water in a spray bottled then use newspaper to wipe it off use black & white newspaper not that shiny crap I do this when I am putting in fresh load with door open that way it gives some time for the glass to cool down a little works for me but it smells a little. works on auto glass to. see ya keep em hot :twisted:

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post by JerseyCoal » Sat. Mar. 17, 2007 2:16 pm

Hi Coal:
I had been warned not to use vinegar as the acid residue combined with intense heat will etch into the glass and cause hazing.
JC

AL-53

Post by AL-53 » Sat. Mar. 17, 2007 6:49 pm

elkvu wrote:I RECENTLY READ ABOUT WEINMAN'S GLASS CLEANINR FOR COAL BURNERS.WHERE CAN I PURCHASE THIS AND WHAT IS THE EXACT NAME OF THE PRODUCT .THANKS
I use the product from Wienmans..I believe it is called stop top polish..it has a high temp silicone sealant in it that makes the next cleaning easy

I get it at wal mart in the cleaning section....

I am not sure the product name spelling is correct...but found at wal mart..

I have a post here on the correct name

Al

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”