My Outdoor Coal Bin Idea-Advice??

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Tue. Mar. 24, 2009 8:47 am

I am planning on a delivery of 15 tons of rice this Spring. 5 tons will go into the basement bins and 10 will be stored outside. Here is my idea for a low cost "tempoary "enclosure. The size will be 4' x8'x16'. I was thinking of plywood heldin place with "T" posts every 2'. Atarp on the ground and then a tarp over the top to keep the debris out.
Thoughts? As I want to start preparing the site. Thanks!

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Tue. Mar. 24, 2009 1:19 pm

How do you plan to move the 10 tons when it's needed?
Just curious.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Tue. Mar. 24, 2009 3:25 pm

I was thinking about a wagon and a coal shovel. The distance from this bin to my coal chute is about 75'. So I think I could move about 500# per load so that is 20+ loads. It will be a chore that can be spread over a few months before heating season.

Bratkinson
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III
Other Heating: Gas FA

Post by Bratkinson » Tue. Mar. 24, 2009 3:49 pm

500# is a whole lot to move around in one wagon load unless you're talking about some kind of trailer or something pulled by a car, or, perhaps a garden tractor. Also, unless you are on a concrete or asphalt surface, don't even think of it.

I just bought a build-it-yourself Magliner hand truck (my choice of options, they send it ready to assemble) thinking I could move 300# (6 50# bags) across 30 feet or so of my back yard and down the hatchway steps. I started with 200#, and toppled going down the steps. I can do 200# across the grass, but only 100# at a time down the steps (and that's with a 'stair' attachment). I'm thinking with the ice & snow combo we had in New England 2 months ago, 100# would be my maximum through the yard. I'm now considering options for a direct chute through my foundation that would be 6 feet from the stove and (unfortunately) 2 feet from my circuit breaker box. But it would be only 10 feet to my garage, where I store my coal.

Given a choice, I think you should locate your temporary storage bin as close as reasonably possible (and aesthetically OK..ie, not the front yard) to your chute. I'd rather have the coal truck back across my grass in summer (no ruts!) than have to tote - by any means - 10 tons across snowy surfaces in the winter! At 61 years old, I'm into doing LESS work rather than MORE!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”