Is It Possible to Replace Only a Section of Chimney?

fishhunter

Post by fishhunter » Sun. Mar. 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Is it possible to replace only a section of chimney? here is my concern- I have a bit of rust starting to show up on the very bottom of the chimney right where it comes out of my top vent Channing III. I thought about just sanding it down and spraying it with stove paint but would prefer to replace the section. it is about a 18" section that goes betrween the stove and the baro from there is goes straigh up through the roof to where it meets the stainless. It would be a large task to completly dismantle the chimney and at that point I would probably just replace all the black pipe anyway. any thoughts on how to replace the bottom section? I know I can get the old piece out no problem it would be just how to get the new one in.
thanks
Jeremy

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sun. Mar. 22, 2009 8:34 pm

I have never used it but I have heard of single wall telescopic stove pipe. One section slides into the next far enough so you can get it in line then extends to the length you need. The only other way I know of is to slide/move the stove til you can get the new piece started then slide the stove back in position.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 5:04 am

My Dad used to put every stove on bricks so the stove lives 2 1/2" off the floor. Then when an issue like this comes up, you remove the bricks and can take the stove pipe apart. In your case , if it's fashionable to do so, you could cut the bad piece of pipe out, replace it with one that's a brick shorter and replace the stove putting it on bricks.

Tip of the day: If one piece of stove pipe is rusted enough to replace, they all are.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 6:41 am

fishhunter wrote: It would be a large task to completly dismantle the chimney and at that point I would probably just replace all the black pipe anyway.
Jeremy
Jeremy, WHY is your black pipe rusting? from condensation/humidity during the summer months? Or from water getting into the stainless at the cap, and running back down into the black? Try to resolve that issue, before you replace anything. And yes, you might as well replace ALL the black pipe. If one piece is rusty, they are ALL rusty. :shock:
Last edited by 009to090 on Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 6:43 am

rockwood wrote:I have never used it but I have heard of single wall telescopic stove pipe. One section slides into the next far enough so you can get it in line then extends to the length you need. The only other way I know of is to slide/move the stove til you can get the new piece started then slide the stove back in position.
I have used these. They even come in black, and match up perfectly with the existing pipe. Its great to use, if you have to pull out your stove, or move it often. If there is water coming in from the cap, they will also rust up quickly.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 9:10 am

Pictures would help here.
Rust is on the outside.
How old is the pipe.
If the condition exists that caused the one pipe to rust then all the pipes should be subject to replacement.
The telescopic pipe works, but you do pay a bit more.
There is usually a slip joint or a twist joint at the connection to the insulated pipe.
This creates a union type disconnect.
You can then pull the black pipe out as an assembly and make repairs or replacement.

fishhunter

Post by fishhunter » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 6:20 pm

The rust is on the outside. the pipe is 6 years old. The stove sat unused and uncleaned for a year while the house was vacant ( just bought it this past summer). they moved in the winter and did not clean before they left. They just pulled the plug and it sat until I cleaned it this past August.The rest of the pipe is in excellent condition. there was a small leak that I patched around thestovepipe where it exits the roof. I noticed one day during hard rain last summer that there was a trickle of water running down the side of the pipe.
it is surface rust that is about a 1" high up the pipe. I could sand it away no problem butI do not take the duct tape and bondo approach with my possessions. I prefer to fix things correctly.
thanks

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 6:26 pm

fishhunter wrote:The rust is on the outside. the pipe is 6 years old. The stove sat unused and uncleaned for a year while the house was vacant ( just bought it this past summer). they moved in the winter and did not clean before they left. They just pulled the plug and it sat until I cleaned it this past August.The rest of the pipe is in excellent condition. there was a small leak that I patched around thestovepipe where it exits the roof. I noticed one day during hard rain last summer that there was a trickle of water running down the side of the pipe.
it is surface rust that is about a 1" high up the pipe. I could sand it away no problem butI do not take the duct tape and bondo approach with my possessions. I prefer to fix things correctly.
thanks
Ok, great! You found a leak and fixed it. Does the piece of black pipe that slides into the top of the stove, also slide into the second piece of pipe? If so, you should be able to slid it up and out of the stove. BUT, sounds like it may be rusted in place. ALL of the black pipe sections may be rusted together now, thats why it might be the best idea to just replace off the black pipe sections all at once. They are not expensive, and should be an easy job. PLUS all the black pipe sections will match. :D

fishhunter

Post by fishhunter » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 6:43 pm

The pipe slides over the stove collar and into the next section of pipe. it basically sits on top of the stove.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 7:11 pm

Are the pipes screwed together? Is there anything else holding up the pipe or is the stove the only support? Freddys brick idea sounds the best to me, as long as all the pipe aren`t going to sag down.

fishhunter

Post by fishhunter » Mon. Mar. 23, 2009 7:16 pm

They are screwed and have pipe joint sealer.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”