How to Create an Artificial Chimney / Flue Draft

ginski

Post by ginski » Fri. Oct. 27, 2006 8:25 pm

Here's a very easy method for creating a draft in your chimney if you have a barometric damper. use a hair dryer on the high setting and within 10 mins. it's venting.

tom

Attachments

IMG_0008 copy.jpg
.JPG | 67.7KB | IMG_0008 copy.jpg

Jersey John
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Regency Wood Stove

Post by Jersey John » Sat. Oct. 28, 2006 1:15 pm

Great illustration. Any chance you could illustrate the individual steps for starting a coal fire. I have read with interest the various methods that everyone uses, and realize the learning curve applies no matter what stove you use. But if a few members could show how they start their fires, and illustrate each step, maybe you could help the rest of us newbies through that learning curve a little better.

barley master

Post by barley master » Tue. Nov. 14, 2006 9:27 pm

a method I use to create a draft when starting mine for the first time and to keep smoke from ooozing out of the vented widow is to place a fan in the window and blow the air in the house thus pressurizing the house and forcing it up the chimney until a draft is established. no smoke and it helps in lighting the stove up quickly.

MrP57

Post by MrP57 » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 8:39 pm

After reading the thread on using the hair dryer to heat up the pipe, I got thinking. This year I put the old style milk house electric heater in the bottom of my stove for 15/20 min. warmed upped the stove nicely. Removed the heater, then put my charcoal chimney stack, (for starting barbeque fires) paper in the bottom, charcoal on top of that, and buckwheat coal on top of that, in the stove. Lit the paper, all the smoke went out the chimney pipe, and then I plugged in the stove blower. Three min later...I pulled the stack out of the stove and we were up and running strong.
Gary

boilermaker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Sime, hand fired hot water boiler

Post by boilermaker » Mon. Feb. 18, 2008 7:05 pm

I have a book that describes a way to establish a draft in a cold chimney (or chimley as they say up here in the north). You place some crumpled up newspapers in you smoke pipe and light it. It'll warm the flue up enough to draw the fire. I haven't done it myself but it makes sense to me as long as the paper burns completely and there's nothing left to stifle the flue.

spaserg

Post by spaserg » Thu. Feb. 21, 2008 2:58 pm

I use same method to create draft only I use heat gun on high setting and I aim it in to stove Mark III which has opening for smoke right near and above front door.Works well to preheat chimney.
if you put some newspaper and lite it ,smoke will came into room .In this case aim heat gan (just air) on front door openings between glass and door frame and wait till flame will heat chimney up.

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 10:49 pm

I tried many things to heat up the pipe including a propane torch and road flares. It didn't work for me. I think my chimney and flue are just too cold sometimes. The only thing that works consistantly is opening up a window elsewhere in the house. It sounds funny to do that in winter, but it changes the pressure. Got this from the chimney sweep!

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Mar. 20, 2008 7:59 pm

boilermaker wrote:I have a book that describes a way to establish a draft in a cold chimney (or chimley as they say up here in the north). You place some crumpled up newspapers in you smoke pipe and light it. It'll warm the flue up enough to draw the fire. I haven't done it myself but it makes sense to me as long as the paper burns completely and there's nothing left to stifle the flue.
That's the method I always use when starting a cold stove. (I can reach the opening to the exhaust stovepipe from the inside top of my Harman. I just put a couple of pieces of newspaper in there & light them, then I add more paper to keep the fire going for a good couple of minutes. Sometimes, when it is real cold out & I have a downdraft, I'll shove the burning paper as far up the pipe as I can reach. Always works!
(never thought of trying a hair dryer but the newspaper is fast & easy)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 23, 2008 7:15 pm

Bonehead wrote:I tried many things to heat up the pipe including a propane torch and road flares. It didn't work for me. I think my chimney and flue are just too cold sometimes. The only thing that works consistantly is opening up a window elsewhere in the house. It sounds funny to do that in winter, but it changes the pressure. Got this from the chimney sweep!
I'm lucky to have a 30" masonary chimney that runs up through the center of the house and above the roofline, I have never experienced a downdraft. However, I tried your trick of opening the window while I was waiting for a fresh load of coal to catch. As I opened the window I heard the barometric damper open and hit the stops! 5 minutes of that and things were really cooking.

Thanks for the tip.

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Mon. Mar. 24, 2008 8:29 am

Balled up newspaper, a few handfuls of saved dryer lint, & 8-10 pieces of kindling always work well for me............

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Wed. Jul. 09, 2008 7:32 pm

In my woodstove of old, created a plywood piece sized a bit bigger than the door opening, bolted a squirrel cage blower to it (looks similar to the Harman blower) so the air would come out a hole in the plywood. Next, put your kindling /newspaper in, put the ply against the opening, start the blower for a minute or so, take off the ply, start your kindling. This method reversed some pretty viscious down drafts on rainy days. Planning to do similar to the mark II if needed. Starting the blower after the ply is against the door opening is to lower the potential for ash to fly around. Hope this helps.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Jul. 09, 2008 7:44 pm

Any stove instalation that has draft issues and benefits from opening a door or window will greatly benefit from a dedicated outside air source duct.. a 3" duct will provide plenty of air to a stove,, just cover the outside end with screen to keep rodents out, and have the pipe end near the base of the stove, or next to the inlet of the combustion blower if you have one..

The negative pressure on the whole house will be reduced, pulling in a lot less cold air through door and window gaps, and the sill plates on the foundation.. this makes for a much more comfortable house and less coal burnt for a warmer house.

Greg L

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Thu. Jul. 10, 2008 9:17 pm

isolate everything in a "boiler room" of the basement

for fire protection

for dirt protection

and bring in outside air - enough outside air so the manometer registers correctly!

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 8:15 pm

Hello all,
Outdoor air supplies.
I found a lot of good info from this web site. Outdoor Air Supplies

It does focus on wood burning but I found it very helpful. John Gulland (one of the founders of the site) whose 25 years of industry experience have made him a renown expert in the area of house pressure and it’s relation to draft gives good advise. If you go to the site you can click on "outdoor air supplies" and read about it. The "all about chimneys" is good also.

Brett

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Aug. 21, 2009 9:17 pm

My Buderus hand fed has a little door that you open put some newspaper in, lite with a match hear the woosh as it is sucked up the chimney and you are ready to coal (rock)and roll and start your fire. :D

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”