Alternatives for Lighting Coal

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Tue. Oct. 24, 2006 11:42 pm

Match Light is very hard to find this time of year. I was wondering if Duraflame firestarters could be used or would the wax clog the grates. Is it a bad idea to use these. How does Matchlight work for starting coal fires in a stoker.

stokerstove
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stokerstove 1

Post by stokerstove » Wed. Oct. 25, 2006 7:41 am

I tried a few things but nothing worked as well as the "mouse" lighters. I can't get the "mouse" ones anymore but Alaska has some that work just as well, just pile some coal around it and light the fuse. I usually only light the stove once a year so I can afford them at a buck-a -piece.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Oct. 25, 2006 8:52 am

I've found that lump type charcoal, not briquets, works really well. You generally have to buy it in larger bags but it will last forever if you keep it dry. A few very small pieces of dry oak with a few pieces of lump charcoal and hit it with the propane torch for about 20 seconds. Do this with the combustion blower off. then once it's lit, close the door, turn on the blower and in a few minutes, you've got some nice glowing coals. Then sprinkle some rice coal on top, wait another couple of minutes and turn on the feeder. This works very well and yoou don't have the stink of the match light fuel.

AL-53

Post by AL-53 » Wed. Oct. 25, 2006 4:11 pm

coalkirk wrote:I've found that lump type charcoal, not briquets, works really well. You generally have to buy it in larger bags but it will last forever if you keep it dry. A few very small pieces of dry oak with a few pieces of lump charcoal and hit it with the propane torch for about 20 seconds. Do this with the combustion blower off. then once it's lit, close the door, turn on the blower and in a few minutes, you've got some nice glowing coals. Then sprinkle some rice coal on top, wait another couple of minutes and turn on the feeder. This works very well and yoou don't have the stink of the match light fuel.
yes..the lump charcoal..I call it cowboy charcoal..is a natural charcoal...made in beehive kilns....looks like chunks of wood.....we have a place near me that makes it..I go get all the small stuff....it lights fast and is hot...I put it on a bed of wood pellets...little lighter fluid..and lite ..starts coal very nice.....I have use stove mice also and it works fast....

AL

rschoensta

Post by rschoensta » Wed. Oct. 25, 2006 7:00 pm

I just lit my stove for the first time.
I bought a Leisure Line and the dealer had these small starter bags.
(.85 per bag) I believe supplied by the company although not sure.

This started the coal burning no problem.
This is the first time I've ever started a coal fire.

You put the bag on the grate and surround it and cover it with coal.
(This is a rice coal stove.)
Light it, close the door, turn the blower on and after 3 or 4 minutes put some more coal on top.

This may be the coal mouse that others have mentioned.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. Oct. 26, 2006 1:24 am

The mice work the best. I lit my stove with Match lite charcoal but it took a much longer time to get it going.

Wicho

Post by Wicho » Thu. Oct. 26, 2006 9:15 pm

I just bought my stove this year and was given several of the mice by my dealer. He told me that inside the mice is the same material as in a road flare. Since we sell road flares at work I bought one- cut it into 4" lengths and lit the end- (with gloves on of course). It takes a few seconds to light but once it gets going just stick it in a small pile of coal.. works perfect!

rschoensta

Post by rschoensta » Tue. Oct. 31, 2006 8:12 am

The other night my stove went out and I didn't want to use up my remaining starter bag so I just grabbed a propane torch.

That worked fine.

I use rice coal.

I would think that's easier to start then the larger grades.

Philippe23
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Philippe23 » Tue. Oct. 31, 2006 8:37 am

I figured I'd post a picture or two of a coal mouse, since they seem to be available here and there. (Alaska Stove Dealers seem to have them; that's where I got mine.)

Attachments

coal_mouse_size.jpg

This should give you an idea of the size.

.JPG | 94.1KB | coal_mouse_size.jpg
coal_mouse.jpg

It says "Caution! Caution! Do not hold in hand when lighting!" (Duh!)

.JPG | 88.9KB | coal_mouse.jpg

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Wed. Nov. 01, 2006 6:08 pm

I think I have lighting the stove down pat. I still use Match light charcoal but now I take the 4-5 pieces and breask them with a hammer. This makes for fast lighting.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. Nov. 02, 2006 10:58 pm

rschoensta:

How do you like the Coal-trol thermostat that comes with your stove. Does it do a good job of regulating temps?

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Fri. Nov. 03, 2006 12:48 am

traderfjp,

I have a Coal-trol on my Alaska Kast II (5K - 75K btu). It works awesome, would highly recommend to anyone especially for a Tri-burner type stove (the combustion fan and stoker are driven by the same motor). The room where my T-stat is located stays within 1 degree of the set point, also during the recent 55 degree days it never went out (although it did go over the set point by 3 degrees, but that would be expected).

It takes about 20 minutes to install and then another couple hours to set the high and low firesettings, after that it is set and forget. I especially like that for when I go out of town, my wife can change the settings easily and all she has to do is empty the ashes and fill the hopper. :thumbleft:

rschoensta

Post by rschoensta » Sat. Nov. 04, 2006 9:49 am

Hi.
Yes I have the same experience.
I have a leisure line pocono.

And yes the coal trol keeps temps within +/- 1 degree.

after a few start up glitches I haven't had to do anyting with the stove aside from put coal in and empty the ashes out.

crmoores

Post by crmoores » Tue. Nov. 07, 2006 10:20 pm

Had some of those soft "bricks" that someone gave us to help start wood fires, crumbled these up, put a little coal on top, worked great, takes about 10 min to get the coal burning well.
Propane torch (hotter gas better) also works with some patience).

Using buckwheat.

trb157

Post by trb157 » Tue. Nov. 21, 2006 1:11 pm

Anybody ever tired Trioxane bars? Military surplus stores have these by the truckload and they burn hot and long sort of like a sterno can, very cheap. Are they dangerous to try in a coal stoker stove? I always wondered.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”