Single Wall SS Chimney Interior Wall

mwgreck0520
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by mwgreck0520 » Mon. Jun. 14, 2021 1:52 pm

Hey guys new to the forum. I'm looking for some insight on an idea I have about running a new single wall SS chimney and insulating around it. (Skip down to Question #2 to negate reading about my current setup)

Some information:
I have a 960 sq.ft. rancher with a full basement that has a masonry chimney on the exterior face of one of my gable ends. Thimble is 8" round, 24" below grade going through the cinder block foundation in the basement, makes a hard 90 converting to 8" square terracotta and goes straight up for 14' overall of vertical.

I ran a Harman Mark II for two seasons and now have a Hitzer 50-93 for two seasons under my belt. Both were run in this chimney configuration and I have a terrible time with CO backing up into the house on any day above 45-50 outside. I end up having to run the 50-93 really hard just to not have things back up into the house. I'm burning about 60-80lbs of coal a day since I'm running the stove hard and I feel like that seems like a lot of coal per day (?). Draft on a good cold day with the 50-93 is only 0.04. "Warmer" days I'm only about 0.02-0.03 on the manometer.

The chimney is in rough shape so I was going to tear it down and relocate a new chimney into an interior wall of the house while I do some remodeling. Funds and time aren't available to put in a masonry chimney so I was going to run a double wall SS inside a box I'll build from the basement ceiling up through and out the roof. I'm about to tear off roof and get new installed which is why I'm doing the chimney at the same time.

Assumption: moving to 6" ID round and plan to run a minimum of 16' vertical on the new design to help with my draft problems.

Question #1
Should I spend the extra coin on 316 double wall over the 304 double wall pipe?

Question #2 (the more important one)
What are your thoughts on building an interior square box from basement ceiling, going through 1 floor, and out the roof that would hold a 6" 316SS single wall chimney pipe and then insulate the entire cavity around it? The box would extend outside the roof and I can put a flat cap on the top of the square. Interior of the box would be cement board with mineral wool to encapsulate the single wall.

Doing it this way would leave me with a box/insulation that can stay long-term and if the single wall 316 ever goes bad, I simply pull all that out and replace it with single wall again. I guess my thoughts were better corrosion resistance with the 316 with the lower cost of replacement of single wall over double wall?

Am I crazy in doing this or should I simplify my life and just put in double wall and be done with it?

Thank you for your responses in advance and I appreciate everyone's insight on all of the other posts I read about!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jun. 15, 2021 7:53 am

Have you priced out a masonry chimney? For a single story house I would not expect it to be very expensive. The framing and roof work is where the $$ is, but it sounds like you are doing that anyway.

If dead set on stainless, I would use double wall - otherwise you would need to make a much larger chase to allow for the proper clearance.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jun. 15, 2021 8:36 am

Plan on the S/S rotting away too.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jun. 15, 2021 8:41 am

Some pix to go with your thoughts would be real helpful M. :)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”