Chimney install

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Dec. 05, 2020 3:47 pm

Ok....another question. Fireplaces are new to me!!! This is pertaining to a pre-fab fireplace. I remember my inspector saying I have an outside air intake for the fireplace. I just checked it and it seems to be an exhaust vent with a flapper much like a dryer vent. So it seems this is an exhaust vent, not an air intake. I do have a damper on the inside of the fireplace...this much I do know!! My only thought is someone installed the wrong vent on the outside chimney chase. It may need to be an intake and not exhaust vent. I've read the intake is not necessary. Can anyone please explain???

Attachments

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sat. Jan. 23, 2021 5:16 pm

Ok...I finally got around to starting the hearth construction. My indecisiveness got the best of me...hence the delay! Plus my kids new covid school schedule hasn’t been very easy to work around. I plan on a bluestone slab for the base and stone for the face of the base and up the wall. Hopefully ordering the stone soon. I’ll update with pics along the way!!

Attachments

13CD1031-2AF5-44E3-B16B-BA2E1DE2FEC2.jpeg
.JPEG | 602KB | 13CD1031-2AF5-44E3-B16B-BA2E1DE2FEC2.jpeg

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Jan. 24, 2021 4:02 pm

Don’t mind the jigsaw puzzle, I used what I had...haha. I’m getting a little concerned with the weight of my hearth already. This pad I made is starting to get heavy, and thats just the frame and 3/4” plywood. I plan on still adding cement board on top. I was originally going to use a 2” blue stone slab, which would look really nice. Due to the weight I may go with a slate tile, or something similar. I’m thinking of using a jack stud under the stove in my basement, that would solve any weight problems. Any thoughts or advice?

Attachments

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 3:15 pm

Under our stove and hearth and floor joists, in the crawl space, are two large jacks. On top of those jacks is a piece of angle iron that measured 8’x3”x5”x 1/2”. The jacks are sitting on concrete pads 6” thick, which is sitting on a mix of clay, stone and gravel. Dry as a bone under there. All this is supporting the front part of the hearth. The hearth wall is sitting above a block bearing wall.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. May. 02, 2021 3:38 pm

Well, I ordered my chimney system last week and it arrived Friday. Speedy delivery!!! One step closer to getting the stove in place...I am stoked. I went with Selkirk this time around. After tons of research it seems like a good product. The fact that everything is made in the US is a bonus for me. Hopefully I'll grab a bunch of pics of the install.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. May. 02, 2021 3:46 pm

I sure hope so T--after all this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”