Coal Hods

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 1:59 pm

I use a shorter version of that stove pipe and really like it. Holds 8 pounds I think. Ive been thinking about making them out of 2 foot and now I know I will. I have my handle turned the other way, bolted on each side of the seam and on opposite end, but it could be on the top side, doesnt really matter.

Attachments

IMG_2611.JPG
.JPG | 54.6KB | IMG_2611.JPG

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Why W, keps the seam from comin apart come hell or high-water--I like the lil scoop affect on yours plus smaller--don't know if I'd wanta wrestle them thar big ones that RB put together--BUT--he's a young pup & still pretty rugged!!! Couldn't help myself RB

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 3:14 pm

I made it years ago and really cant remember where I got the idea for the lip or the handle, but likely found it on this site. Then I bought one of those huge aluminum scoops and didnt need it. Then I lost the big scoop so back to the stove pipe!

Its been really warm this winter here, except for a few days. After my lignite was mostly gone I switched to anthracite and after a while cut by stove box in half to run a little lower in temp, below 200. Thats been working great, way better than I expected, but its a LONG ways to the back of this stove and Im thinking a longer pipe like RB made will fit the bill. I probably wouldnt need to fill it but it would give me more reach.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 3:24 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 2:19 pm
Why W, keps the seam from comin apart come hell or high-water--I like the lil scoop affect on yours plus smaller--don't know if I'd wanta wrestle them thar big ones that RB put together--BUT--he's a young pup & still pretty rugged!!! Couldn't help myself RB
I worried about the seam coming apart, but it hasn't happened. The advantage of a handle near the top is, you can carry it one-handed without tipping the coal out -- but you have to put it even nearer the top than I did. Mounting the handle horizontally like W did is probably better for carrying than my method.

As for "young pup", I don't feel as much like one since I became a septuagenarian a couple years back. We had a minor? car accident four months ago, and I'm still sore in a couple places. Got slammed in the side by a dumb kid driving a 1997 Lincoln, who managed to fishtail and spin his car around in a 25 MPH zone in the city. That takes talent! :roll: Totaled my car though I suspect somebody has bought and rebuilt it by now. Twenty years ago this young pup would have been sore for a week, not four months.
Honda 007.JPG
.JPG | 622.5KB | Honda 007.JPG
Honda 005.JPG
.JPG | 419.1KB | Honda 005.JPG

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 4:24 pm

Glad ya at least walked away from that accident--get wellerrrrrrrrrrrrr R--I had to look up that septua thingy!!! LOL

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 4:30 pm

Its never a good thing to get hit by a 1997 Lincoln! One of the last cars with a strong frame... Glad your getting better.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”