The BIG DIG!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post By: Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 04, 2018 4:18 pm

That is not what I was picturing. I was thinking a mid season delivery of damp coal could result in some freezing around three top 2' or so. Then again, Tyler is not in -20 country, so it is probably a non issue.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: oil furnace

Post By: hotblast1357 » Wed. Apr. 04, 2018 4:37 pm

And with him being his own coal supplier, shame on him for not filling it in the off season lol

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post By: Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Paying customers come first. :D

Visit DS Stoves

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post By: Pauliewog » Wed. Apr. 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. Apr. 04, 2018 6:24 pm
His is probably the last coal bin filled. :lol:

Paulie

CoalJockey
Stoker Coal Boiler: (2) EFM 520's, 900, 1300
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post By: CoalJockey » Wed. Apr. 04, 2018 7:48 pm

titleist1 wrote:
Sun. Mar. 25, 2018 7:32 am

For the last 6 - 8" of clean out .... would a rototiller break it up enough for easier removal? That was my method for a shallow drainage swale/trench i put in a few years ago...rototilled to about 6" deep and a flat shovel to scoop away the dirt.
T- It’s pretty soft on the bottom so it is... native topsoil washed off the hillside, its soft enough we can start at the far end with the spade and just keep working our way back. Since I have posted last I have nearly finished carrying the last gob out of the back corner.
windyhill4.2 wrote:
Sat. Mar. 31, 2018 2:02 pm
I would spray several inches of foam up onto that ceiling & then paint over it with your choice of coal bin ceiling color.

Quicker,easier & insulation factor.
It’s a good idea Windy don’t get me wrong. But that foam stuff begins to break down and flake off after a number of years and even sealed with paint it will degrade. I want something permanent that I can go in with the garden hose once a year and hose it down top to bottom. I don’t picture the foam holding up to that very well.

Thanks to Jack and Buffalo Bob on the advice on mixing the parging material. On a side note, Bob you are not very far away from me... just over the mountain from here.

I don’t think it will ever get cold enough to freeze in there, I did not take a thermometer in there but even on the coldest days we worked in there we were only in a light overshirt, anything more made you sweat fast. I suppose anything is possible, but it’s so far below grade I don’t see a problem there. I plan to fill it in the early Fall to allow some of the water to evaporate out before I light up.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions, I have weighed them all heavily. I am hoping to dig the rest of the floor out Saturday afternoon if the Union does not strike. I should then be ready to dig footers and pour walls. I have rebar already purchased and Scotty has a bender.
Pauliewog wrote:
Wed. Apr. 04, 2018 6:35 pm
His is probably the last coal bin filled. :lol:
Paulie
Oh my Paulie, isn’t that the truth! :no1:

CoalJockey

Post By: CoalJockey » Wed. Apr. 04, 2018 7:52 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. Apr. 04, 2018 6:24 pm
I’m gonna have too look into this Rob... and to think the guy is ignorant enough to wonder aloud on the forum why his bin would be the last fill.

Need to have a little something to write off as “spillage” right? :lol:

Visit DS Stoves

Benny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker lite- house. Reading- garage
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post By: Benny » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 6:02 am

What ever happened with the big dig? Life get in the way?

CoalJockey

Post By: CoalJockey » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 8:23 am

Benny wrote:
Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 6:02 am
What ever happened with the big dig? Life get in the way?
Oh yea Benny it sure did.... Union Diggers Local walked off the job after they drank all the Yeungling I could find in Central PA and they went looking for more. Luckily for me there is much more still in Pottsville.

We mow over 4 acres of grass around here and between the trucking and that, the BIG DIG was postponed awhile. Stay tuned though, it will likely resume sometime this Winter. There is a stack of rebar laying on the basement floor that will soon be bent for the walls and floor pouring.

Thanks for asking!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”