Magnum Stoker Settings for the Control Box

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Mon. Oct. 16, 2006 10:29 pm

Can someone tell me hoe best to set the control box for a magnum stoker - dealer is no help. I have this currently set ot combustion fan on 2 min off 15 - air ou to 5 min. the problem is the feeder motor and combustion seem to work in tandem so the coal in my opinion is not fully burning all the coal it is clumoy in the ash pan. when the combustion motor is off there is a nice even blue flame with orange amber coals then when combustion motor kick on the flams reach the top of inside of stove and their is a nice flame similar to gas furnace until combustion motor stops then flames receed. problem is the coal is continuing to feed while combustion is on and not sure it is burning fully. At this point I have been running unit without the provided mercury thermostat that came with it

ginski

Post by ginski » Tue. Oct. 17, 2006 2:38 am

i certainly don't mean to be sarcastic, but you've assembled a bicycle without the front tire. without a thermostat connected, the magnum has nothing to 'key' off for temperature control. the recommended starting point for the control box is 4-12-2, and there's also the damper on the combustion blower to adjust to fine tune the stove, along with the feed rate adjuster. do you have a barometric damper installed so a percentage of your heat is not being sucked up the chimney?

once your thermostat is installed, contact your dealer to come out & adjust these variables so your unit is running efficiently.

best regards,
tom

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Tue. Oct. 17, 2006 5:11 am

Yes I have te little cover plate attached to the combustion intake and have played with more\less opening. I also have a barimetric damper installed right from top of the flue opening in stove. I have not installed the thermostat, still need to buy the wire. How do you adjust the feed rate? the feed motor seems to automatically start when the combustion motor starts.

BinghamtonNY

Post by BinghamtonNY » Tue. Oct. 17, 2006 11:06 am

First off, get some wire and hookup the thermostat. It'll make everything easier. Here's how I have mine setup. I have my combustion fan plugged directly into my plug strip (runs constantly) I also have my distribution fan set to 15 so it too never turns off. I have my on-off settings set to 4-13. This time of year it tough. But I'm getting a complete burn on my coal. On the back of the pusher block assembly is the dial to adjust amount of coal entering fire.Clockwise is more feedrate, counter clockwise is less... ( I'm about 95% sure).

From what you described I think you need more "ON" time and maybe a little more feedrate.

Good luck.

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Tue. Oct. 17, 2006 6:10 pm

your going to find alot of different approaches to this beast..lol When I first got mine I was using the thermostat whcih I found was wasting some coal plus the house would slightly cool down then the thermostat was satisfied.I currently run the fans and feed motor directly into a power strip I found that with this setup I can maintain a constant 150 degrees or has high as 550 degrees just by adjusting my feed rate. for my house this works best.This setup also allows me to keep the stove burning when it's 60 degrees during the day and low 30"s at night

wenchris

Post by wenchris » Fri. Oct. 20, 2006 8:52 pm

Binghamton, How many dots you pushing? Today I fired her up for the first time this season. Using Lime's method everything pluged into the power strip. Too warm (60 deg day 45 at night) out to run it on pilot mode, it'll just go out. Gonna try your method 4-13 once it gets a little cooler. Like the idea of keeping the combustion blower going all the time. Last year I felt I was getting too much unburnt in the ashes. Waiting to see the results of the Coal-trol on the Magnum, may be in the future :idea: Jimmy

ginski

Post by ginski » Mon. Oct. 23, 2006 4:05 am

forgot to tell you to get a digital thermostat as compared to the mercury one supplied with the unit. the digital will keep your house at a much more constant temp.

here's a pic of the ductwork I installed into the upstairs, using the duct option on the magnum.

tom

ginski

Post by ginski » Mon. Oct. 23, 2006 4:21 am

pictures of the duct work were too large for this site...if you're interested, send me your e-mail address to [email protected] and i'd be glad to send them to you, and answer any other questions with the magnum.

best regards,
tom

ginski

Post by ginski » Tue. Oct. 24, 2006 2:16 am

the duct option works very well forcing heat to the 2nd level with the aid of the variable speed fans installed in the floor registers. I only blocked off about 80% of the heat coming out of the front of the magnum so that the cellar & the upper level stay the same temp.

thank you site administrator for fixing the upload problem.

kind regards,
tom

Attachments

IMG_0007web.jpg
.JPG | 99.2KB | IMG_0007web.jpg
IMG_0006web.jpg
.JPG | 84.7KB | IMG_0006web.jpg
IMG_0004web.jpg
.JPG | 93.4KB | IMG_0004web.jpg

BinghamtonNY

Post by BinghamtonNY » Tue. Oct. 24, 2006 10:08 am

I think my feed rate is pushing 3.5 dots. Finally cool enough to get the stove working.

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Tue. Oct. 24, 2006 5:21 pm

3.5 dots wow it must be mighty toasty in there by now...lol
I'm pushing 1 dot right now with the nights getting down into the 30"s

AL-53

Post by AL-53 » Tue. Oct. 24, 2006 6:31 pm

wow...3.5 dots for me would roast me out..lol...it has been in the low 50's during the last few days but with some strong winds....low 30's at night....with frost....we actually had flurries today ...was pretty cool today...

I have not lit the Mag up yet..just a quick run to see if all is a go...

I have been running the Alaska in the family room for now....and blowing the heat down to basement....

once we get into the cold weather and basement gets cool..I will shut the Alaska down and use the MAg Stoker located in the basement...that heats the whole house ..3 floors..basement..1st floor.. 2nd floor...

Al

BinghamtonNY

Post by BinghamtonNY » Wed. Oct. 25, 2006 11:04 am

Yeah,maybe it's 3 dots. It keeps the basement toasty at about 76. But I've got a pretty poorly insulated house that's hard to keep warm. I'm working on trying to improve that.

wenchris

Post by wenchris » Wed. Oct. 25, 2006 9:00 pm

Been using Limes method on my magnum since Fri. Works great!!! House staying a constant 72 deg. Pushing about 3/4 to 1 dot. This baby is just sipping coal. Have only had to empty the ashes once and I could have gotten a day more in there. This is the way to go for those warm days and cold nights where it would have otherwise went out. I'm also getting no unburnt coal like last season. Once it gets cooler gonna switch to BinghamtonNY's method and leave the combustion blower going full time. Hoping this will take care of the unburnt that I had last year. Thanx for all the great info, Knowledge is power and it can also keep ya warm. Jimmy

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Thu. Oct. 26, 2006 7:09 pm

i've found that when using my way I can burn between 1.75 to 2.5 hoppers full of coal before empting the ash pan

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”