Too Much Unburnt Coal

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
Peasefamily
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: Koker 160

Post Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 7:35 pm

new to my koker...almost been one full week. Husband's noticing a lot of unburned coal in the ashbin. is this because of the feed rate? if so, how much do we back it off? and is that because it's 25* warmer this week than last? Hubby says we're going through 3/4 of the 240 lbs. hopper a day...that seems high to me.. is it?

MrP57
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystroker
Stove/Furnace Model: Koker

Post Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 7:46 pm

It could be your feed adjustment, and or too many pins in you timer running the feed too long. I have 3 or 4 pins in my timer at three different positions. Play with the feed stroke and see what happens in a day or so.
Gary

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 8:30 pm

I'm down to three sets of four clips on my timer. I have minimal hot coal during extended idle.
My stoker screw is out about 7 or eight turns.

I've been burning 80#/day during January and had a couple days of 120# when the temps were very low.
My ash is pretty much the "granola" texture with very few pieces of unburned coal.

Keep in mind the clips and timer only make a difference when the stove is idling. When it's cold out and the thermostat is calling for heat, the timer, although still running, has no effect on the stoker time.

-Len
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Peasefamily
Stove/Furnace Model: Koker 160

Post Thu. Jan. 22, 2009 8:54 pm

coal len- sorry for my ignorance, the manual is a bit lacking. the adjustment nut...which part are you supposed to turn? the end, middle, the whole screw? seems really tight to turn....

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker

Post Fri. Jan. 23, 2009 6:19 pm

There's a gray rectangular tab under the nut on the end of the adjusting rod. Just turn the rod by holding the tab in your fingers. I have mine turned out 7 or 8 full rotations. I believe it comes set at four turns out. Just turn this with your fingers. Don't put any tools on it.
I'm attaching a photo of the adjusting rod. It's located under the hopper and above the expanded metal cage on the back of the furnace.
I hope this helps...
-Len
Attachments
Koker Stoker Adjust Nut.jpg
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

mcrchap
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 90
Other Heating: New Yorker Oil boiler
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: Econo

Post Sat. Nov. 28, 2009 4:13 pm

Sounds like you bought more rock than coal. Slate is black too. Don't know where you live but if you are near Mt. Carmel Harmony Coal mines has a great product. People call what you are burning "boney coal".

steevesj
Stove/Furnace Model: KA6 dual fuel using rice

Post Sun. Nov. 29, 2009 7:57 am

Peasefamily wrote:new to my koker...almost been one full week. Husband's noticing a lot of unburned coal in the ashbin. is this because of the feed rate? if so, how much do we back it off? and is that because it's 25* warmer this week than last? Hubby says we're going through 3/4 of the 240 lbs. hopper a day...that seems high to me.. is it?
When I had this problem with my KA-6 it was because of lack of air. I increased the air and it helped.
Jon
And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you -
ask what you can do for your country.
- John F. Kennedy

Burning buckwheat coal in a Keystoker Ka-6 stoker boiler with oil burner option

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”