Which Coal-Trol Version for a Keystoker 90?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Oct. 03, 2006 8:41 am

Neil or Paul,

Which Version (Basic, Basic +, Std, Std+, etc. since you have quite a few choices now) would you recommend for a Keystoker 90 with a direct vent? It has the Following:
Combustion Air Blower, Stoker Motor, Convection Blower and Direct Vent Blower Motor with flue switch.

I read thru your tech. manual and it looks pretty easy to convert the wiring. Let me know. Thanks!

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Tue. Oct. 03, 2006 11:12 am

WNY,

You can make any of our Coal-Trol systems work with a power vent stove. For the Basic and Basic+ you can plug the Coal-Trol into the output from fume switch. If you like the integrated limit switch and power vent sockets, clear wiring, and heavier duty construction of the Standard and Standard+ then that is the way to go.

There is also an advantage to getting the Standard and Standard+ if you intend to get the igniter kit when it comes out. At the end of the day it will be cheaper to buy a standard or standard+ and then get an igniter kit than to get the basic/basic+ and have to get an upgrade to it in addition to the igniter kit.

To decide between the T1 and T2 (or plus and non-plus systems) consider these items:

- During the week or weekend is the house generally empty? If so, the energy star features of the T1 thermostat can lead to additional fuel and cost savings.

- Do you travel a lot, leaving the house alone for a couple of days to a couple of weeks at a time? The T1 offers an indefinite temperature hold feature (also part of the energy star feature set) that can be very handy for these situations.

- Do you have a stove thats in a living area and you'd sometimes like to turn the convection fans down due to noise, such as when watching a movie or entertaining guests? If so, the T1 offers a manual fan speed control feature that helps in these situations.

- If you plan to get the Standard+ with the optional furnace fan contacts (remember to call us to order this item, it can not be ordered online) only the T1 will control those furnce fan contacts.

Lastly, we're not shipping the basic and basic+ quite yet (plan is to start shipping on Oct. 16). We're putting the finishing touches on the CM2 production materials. If you order a Standard or Standard+, though, it will be shipped within two days.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Nov. 02, 2006 3:09 pm

On our Keystoker, Looking at the Standard +, Couple more questions...

1. do I completely disconnect the Timer Box for idle/pilot mode.? I will assume your system has the built-in functionality for this...?

2. Also, does it utilize the temp switch for the room convection fan or is that built in the CoalTrol also? How does it know when to turn on/off as not to overheat the stove. Since the convection fan helps in keeping the back/top of the stove cool.?

I Would need to Hook up:
Flue Switch
Power Vent Fan
Combustion Fan
Convection Fan
Stoker Motor

Thanks again!

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Thu. Nov. 02, 2006 4:49 pm

1) Yes, the timer box is disconnected. Our MIN (feed rate) setting is equivalent.

2) You cna hook the convection fan up either way. If you leave it hooked up to the temp switch then it will function like it always has. If you plug it into the standard+ box it will speed control the fan based on the feed rate and a delay program. We've had very good results and feedback on our system's control of the convection fan. While we do not expect that you'll see overheating problems, if you do run into them definitely give us a call and we'll see what we can do.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”