Programmable Thermostat for Harman Magnum Stoker

ericcjack

Post by ericcjack » Sun. Sep. 24, 2006 7:41 pm

Am about to become the proud owner of a Harman Magnum Stoker. I've been a wood burner for 20 years...hope I made the right move. (positive reinforcement requested here...) Anyway...was wanting to know if I could use a programable thermostat to run the stoker...ya know the kind....turns the heat up & down at differnt times of day. What are the thoughts here. I'm interested to know if anyone else is doing this? There is no one in the house throughout the day...why not let it chill a bit, eh?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Sep. 25, 2006 4:14 am

Try a forum search for coal-trol.

BinghamtonNY

Post by BinghamtonNY » Mon. Sep. 25, 2006 8:30 am

First off, you made a good choice. You'll be happy with the Magnum stoker. I too have one and love it. I also have a programable thermostat on mine. The only trick is setting everything a couple hrs ahead. The stove takes some time to recover and bring the room temp back up. I have mine installed in my basement near the stairs, about 20 feet from my stove. Keep the basement at 76 from about 3 pm till 6am.( I get home around 4:45pm) Then turns down to about 70-72 the rest of the day (6am-3pm)

Coalman is right though. Look at the coaltrol seems like a great device. I just don't have the cash right now for one.

wenchris

Post by wenchris » Mon. Sep. 25, 2006 11:36 am

Also have the Mag Stoker you will be very happy with your choice. I have a programable thermostat as well works great, as long as the wife keeps her hands off it!!! Jimmy

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Sep. 26, 2006 7:19 am

Yes, we have a digital thermostat on our Keystoker. Ours is set approx 1 hour before the time needed for heat in the morning. I changed the jumper on the back of the circuit board to Electric instead of Gas, since there seems to be a different program for it. gas is more instant, where electric takes a bit longer like the stove to heat up. Seems to work well. Plus adjusting the feed rate and idle timer down to burn very little when not needed.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”