Electric Cost for Power Vent

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
scarecrow
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: kodiak

Post Wed. Sep. 20, 2006 3:25 pm

hey yall newbie here......i am looking into buying a coal stove in the next two weeks... I will be using a power venter how much will that effect my electric bill???? I plan on using the coal for my first source of heat. and I will keep the oil heater at prob 50 degres or so.....

beaverman

Post Wed. Sep. 20, 2006 5:18 pm

I used a power vent last winter with my stoker. The power vent along with my blower only raised my electric bill by about $15/month.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Post Fri. Sep. 22, 2006 2:17 pm

Bascially like leaving 100-150watt light bulb on all the time. That is about right on the usage.

I put a watt/voltage meter on the stove and checked the power draw, it draws around 100-120 watts with the 2 blowers (direct vent and combustion motors running all the time 24/7) and around 200 watts with the air blower added in (ie. heat/room circulation blower), that only runs when it gets so hot.
- Dave
Hyfire I & Keystoker 90K heating an 1890 Victorian
- Amsoil Authorized T1 Certified Dealer

castiron

Post Tue. Apr. 10, 2007 10:44 am

beaverman wrote:I used a power vent last winter with my stoker. The power vent along with my blower only raised my electric bill by about $15/month.
Another reason to buy a non-power vent model......that $15 would be more than a 25% increase in my monthly bill.....

e.alleg
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520

Post Tue. Apr. 10, 2007 11:04 am

you are lucky, they jacked up our rates here in NY to what amounts to .13 per kwH. (total bill divided by kw/h used). it used to be about 5 cents. My relatives in Connecticut pay about 28 cents per. :shock: I switched to all flourescent bulbs and we have a propane stove and hot water heater and my bill is still $100 a month. The power tools probably don't help.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”