Alaska Liberty Stoker Going Out

wally61

Post by wally61 » Fri. Dec. 26, 2008 6:20 pm

i thought I had a coal-trol problem but I do not. I need expertize I have a liberty stove everything hooked up right thru alaska controls the burn goes out. I say it is bad motor on feed.because it will start to feed than stops. I thought I had a coal trol problem but did all checks everything is good hooked up with alaska controls and still goes out any help thanx

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Dec. 26, 2008 6:54 pm

maybe something is jammed in the feeder/stoker? have you tried to remove the stoker and check to make sure everthing is moving correctly? Maybe your combustion blower isn't working correctly?

The feed is control by the coaltrol it only feeds for a certain amount of time (30secs or so) depending temp and setpoints. Maybe you have to turn up your MIN so your fire doens't go out. Every stove is different.

What do you have your settings on in the coaltrol?

do you have a separate combustion blower and stoker hooked in separately into the coaltrol? or are they hooked together.?

did you read what Coaltrol told you to do in your other post?
Need Help With Liberty Stove and Coal-Trol

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 12:44 am

Are ya sure the combustion fan is spinning the right direction, should push a significant amount of air through the grate. Light a match and observe the smoke when you place it over the air holes if there is any question. :)

If it is spinning the wrong way I believe there is a thread that deals with that, dealer should fix.

wally61

Post by wally61 » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 7:55 am

ok here is the storie friend got a bran new liberty stove I installed it and hooked up coal trol worked fine for awhile than had this problem thought it was ct problem so I hooked controls up from alaska turned feeder up full with no fire going yet just to make sure it would feed coal and it did. so I lit a fire and it was going good. coal was feeding than I leave and get call that fire is going out. get there and fire has been out for awhile stove still runnung and no caol on shoot. thinking maybe bi metal or somthing in feed motor get hot and cuts off.

WNY

Post by WNY » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 8:04 am

have you cleaned out the stoker,it could be a thermal overload on the stoker if something is jammed? If neither system will keep the fire burning, then you have a mechical issue with the stoker, especially if you say it runs for a while then stops.

Do you have a Power Vent? Maybe the Flue Switch is tripping out the stove, then it cools and reset? Most have manual resets. but just a thought, that would trip the stoker out too.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 10:08 am

As Dave said there are several things that need to be considered, we need complete information and if possible a few pics of the installation:

Is the stove Power vented or direct vented, if so how are you controlling the draft?
What kind of interlocks does the stove have, flue switch, thermal disc, etc?
Does it have a barometric damper and if so how did you adjust it?
Did you set up the idle for minimum fire, if not it will be different depending on whether you are using the coal-trol or Alaska control?
How long did the stove operate before this problem occurred?
Have you tried removing the coal and just plugging the stoker motor into a wall outlet to see if it quits with no load?

The more information we have the quicker the problem can be found. :)

wally61

Post by wally61 » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 3:44 pm

it is direct vented. the flume switch does not kick off. I had it set on 3 with alaska controls and not enough coal is being pushed on to the grate. it seems like it starts ok than just stops it is not my stove its a friend of mine. so that is why it is hard for me to keep up because I have to drive to her house. when she calls me and tells me the stove goes out it takes me about a hour to get there. I tell her to leave it run so you would think that the shoot would be full of unburnt coal but it is not. gonna clean out hopper to see if it is clogged.the stove ran good for about 2 months without a problem on coal trol than when I was trying to increase the max it did not seem to make any affect on burn than it just started to go out. than I switched to alaska controls and still goes out because not enough coal is on shoot. combustion blower runs exhaust blower runs convection motor runs. on coal trol I had max at 38 and stoker only ran 11 seconds by counting like neal said that is why I thought ct problem but as stated earlier I hooked up alaska controls no different thank you for all help.

WNY

Post by WNY » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 4:04 pm

you may have to raise the MIN to keep it burning, and the Max 38, might need to be raised also, like 50-70, each stove is different.

wally61

Post by wally61 » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 4:24 pm

it was running fine than all of a sudden this problem

choyt002

Post by choyt002 » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 4:55 pm

Maybe stove is ok and she just likes your company :D

WNY

Post by WNY » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 4:56 pm

Something could have jammed in the stoker, a large piece of coal (or rock?), if it just all of sudden stopped....

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 7:01 pm

I'm thinking maybe she has a bad stoker motor, or maybe as choy said she likes the service calls. ;)

wally61

Post by wally61 » Mon. Dec. 29, 2008 6:36 am

there is no dought she loves my company but she does not have to have this problem for me to come over. I spend time messing with stove instead of her. checked stoker is not plugged. gonna try new motor cause I think that is the only thing it can be. thanx for help if you guys think of something else I am open to suggestions

wally61

Post by wally61 » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 11:06 am

update changed stoker motor orange three way plug and control box everything seems to be working correctly now do not know exactly which one was bad. everything pointrd to the stoker motor did not work on coaltrol or control box.gonna let run like this for awhile then hook up ct. another service call :) than hook up ct thanx for all the help will keep updated

northeaster

Post by northeaster » Thu. Feb. 12, 2009 3:35 am

Has anyone tried the hilkoil it sounds like a great theory. I would love to try it my Sq footage is over 3000 and I have Family room above the garage, This coil seems like a great product. it is also the one Alaska recommends with their stoves.
If anyone has any experience with these coils. I would love to hear some feedback.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”