Need Help With Liberty Stove and Coal-Trol

wally61

Post by wally61 » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 4:22 pm

i have a channing and the therm works great. my friend bought a liberty stove and coal trol we are have trouble with trying to keep temp I make changes to max and it does not seem to make a difference. the burn on the carpet does not change. my burn seems to be alot more then hers. it was fine when temps where high now that temps are low it does not want to keep up. help me with what I should do. my stove is the same as hers just differently looks. I love my settings on mine but hers seeems to be to much to try and figger out tell me what I should do thinking about going to alaska controls

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 5:50 pm

Make sure the feed screw is turned in or out and all the way to MAX on the stove, let the coaltrol take control it and adjust it accordingly.

What do you have the MAX set on? Make sure you turn up the thermostat above the room temp by a few degrees to get it to feed correctly and then keep checking it after 30mins-an hour and then adjust the Max by a few points each time, you may have go pretty high depending on the stove. I think some of the keystokers run around 75 or so for Max.

wally61

Post by wally61 » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 6:21 pm

it is a newer alaska it has the paddle. I have the older version coaltrol and love it but he new verzion is to much control than I need. can not seem to get stove up to burn I want

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Does the fire get large enough to cover the entire grate?
I seem to remember someone else who's fire never got any larger and it was discovered the combustion fan was mounted backwards or running backwards or squirrel cage was loose from shaft or some such nonsense, but it was a combustion fan issue. And I think it was an Alaska stove also.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Wed. Dec. 24, 2008 12:04 pm

Do make sure the motors and fan are secured and working properly. Make sure the motors are plugged directly into the Coal-trol, no timers, rheostats, or other electronics inline between the Coal-trol plug and the motor. Put the manual controls to maximum settings. Run the TEST mode on the thermostat to cycle through the motors and make sure they are plugged into the correct receptacles on the control module.

You said the fire output of the stove is significantly less than yours at the same settings. Have you gone through the MAX adjustment procedure? When you put the thermostat on the MAX setting screen and leave it there for 30 minutes or so, do you get a full grate of fire? How much ash is on the end? If there is more than 1.5" of ash, increase the MAX setting and let it settle out at the new rate (20 minutes or so) and then check again, decrease if 1" or less of ash on the end, repeat as needed.

If you are unable to get a good burn in this mode, verify that the stoker control is working correctly by counting how many seconds the stoker motor is turned on when it comes on. The MAX setting displayed should be close to the number you count. If that checks out then make sure the manual controls are set to maximum and that the stoker and combustion mechanics are good.

If you check it all out and nothing looks wrong, give us a call at 315-299-3589 and we'll try to do some more troubleshooting to figure out what the problem is.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”