Hot Air Stoker Suggestions for Old 2 Story Brick and Stone House

randaii45

Post by randaii45 » Sat. Sep. 09, 2006 6:19 pm

I would like some advise/suggestions from you good folks about what type of coal stoker to install in my home. I live in a "OLD" 2 story brick and stone house from the 1780's or there about. It has a oil fired hot air furnace in it now and I would like to keep this as a back-up for the trips out of town in the winter. The furnace is located in a dirt floor basement, which so far in 3 years has never had any standing water in it.

Sorry if I am long winded but I am new to this stuff, grew up on the beach down south were it never really got too cold. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

George-NJ

Post by George-NJ » Sun. Sep. 10, 2006 8:09 am

Suggestion... move very fast, or you'll be burning oil again this winter. Everybody and their brother will be thinking like you in a couple of weeks, if they aren't already. Don't be the one they tell "sorry all sold out, but will have one for you in June"... Read some of the old posts from last year, people couldn't find one when they wanted one.

randaii45

Post by randaii45 » Sun. Sep. 10, 2006 8:54 am

Thanks for the response, I have pretty much resigned myself that there will be 1 more year on oil, with the age of the house I wnat to do the research and make sure it is done right and not rushed just to save money.....THANKS :)

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Sep. 10, 2006 11:07 am

Consider a stoker boiler with a hot water to air coil in your duct work. It works great, is very efficient and can also be used to produce your domestic hot water. If you read through the posts in this forum, you will see alot of interest in some how installing water coils in stoker stoves to produce hot water, in effect, simulating a boiler. The fact is that burning coal to heat your entire home and not just a room or two is much better accomplished with a boiler than a stove or even a coal hot air furnace. You are right to take the time to do the research and not rush into a decision. Just be sure to consider all the available optins.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”