Long Term Reliability of Alaska Channing III

Jersey John
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Regency Wood Stove

Post by Jersey John » Sat. Sep. 02, 2006 10:05 pm

Having heated my finished basement with VC Defiant Encore, and my office with an inefficient Fisher, I am looking to replace the Fisher with a Combination stove or used Channing.

The combination stove I am looking at is the Harman TLC 2000, for the simple reason that I have an abundant supply of logs still to cut and split, but for those really cold weeks, like the thought of consistent heat output from coal.

The stove of choice it seems from the few people I have spoken to in the NW section of Jersey, is the Alaska Stove Company's Channing III. Does not seem that too many folks burn coal in my area, and I have located a dealer about 40 miles west, willing to sell their 5-6 year old Channing for about $1200.

So, what do you suggest? Is the $600 savings worth it, if in fact motor parts are due to be replaced soon? Or since I do have an abundance of wood, does the Harman make a better choice. Frankly, I was initially leaning to a gravity fed unit, but love the idea of uninterrupted heat on weekends that I am away.

Can anyone tell me how long a Stoker stove will last? how often do the parts wear out? are they subject to electrical failure from surges, or other power failures. When they break, are they expensive to repair?

Look forward to your response.

John (Northern Morris County, NJ)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Sep. 05, 2006 3:34 am

Therefore, can anyone tell me how long a Stoker stove will last? how often do the parts wear out?
Can't speak for that specific manuafacturer or model but most are built like a brick s*** houses and motor and electronic parts aside will last a lifetime if properly maintained. This means disconnecting everything in the spring and thoroughly cleaning it for the most part.

Jersey John
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Regency Wood Stove

Post by Jersey John » Tue. Sep. 05, 2006 5:59 am

Thank you...

While waiting for a reply, I have been scouring Ebay and other used stove listings, and had a winning bid up to the last minute on a 1991 Consolidated Dutchwest Wood/Coal stove, only lost it to someone at the last minute who jumped in with a very high bid.

Still thinking I want to burn both wood and coal to start, since the cheapest I can aquire stove is at $200 a ton, pick up only. I am in Northern Morris County in NJ, and have very limited access to coal.

Glad to hear that the long term reliability is not a concern. Just a matter then of my deciding if I want to jump feet or head first in to burning coal, or coal and wood.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”