Rheostat on Direct Vent Blower

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
traderfjp
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing 3

Post Fri. Aug. 11, 2006 3:18 pm

I have an Alaska Channing 3 with a direct vent. I was wondering if anyone has installed a rheostat on their direct vent blower? If so have you seen a savings in coal usage? Also, did you adjust the draft with a bacharach?

homeguy

Post Wed. Aug. 30, 2006 8:48 pm

I know a guy who has an Alaska stove who has a direct vent and he told me he installed a rheostat on the blower motor that brings in the combustion air. He said that the stove burned much less coal. I would be careful about doing this. I have a direct vent too but am afraid to attempt this. I heard you can burn out the motor if not careful.

Jerry & Karen

Post Thu. Aug. 31, 2006 7:42 pm

I think if I were you I would contact Alaska Co. and go with what they say. You could void all warranties.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”