Clayton Furnace With Dual Reading Stokers

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi, CLAYTON furnace burners and those still wondering about the CLAYTON's heating and burning capabilities. Here are some pictures of a custom fabricated CLAYTON STOKER I built using READING triburners, a COAL TROL DIGITAL model TS2 Thermostat and CM2 Control Module. All there is to say is, "THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!" :up: :dancing: The CLAYTON on the left is for manual hand firing and the CLAYTON on the right is stoker fired. The stoker fired CLAYTON conversion truly out preformed my best expectations! Any comments or questions are welcome. DOUG
DSCF1292.JPG
.JPG | 478KB | DSCF1292.JPG
DSCF1333.JPG
.JPG | 482.2KB | DSCF1333.JPG
DSCF1330.JPG
.JPG | 412.7KB | DSCF1330.JPG
DSCF1302.JPG
.JPG | 479.7KB | DSCF1302.JPG

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 7:57 pm

"THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!"

That sums it up. Like the lights showing it off too. :)

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 9:38 pm

Very Nice!! :punk:

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 8:27 am

Damn Doug that thing looks like it could heat a small space station.

What model stoves are those? http://www.usstove.com/products.php?cat=4

Leopald

Post by Leopald » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 9:17 am

Wow! How much sq footage are you heating?! I'd imagine that throws a ton of heat.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 9:59 am

WOW, nice.

North Candlewood
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 10:57 am

OK :D :D :D
You have my atention now!
My list of questions is long.
What are you heating? WOW
Which model # stokers did you use and where did you get them?
Hopper size? It apears you centered the stokers in the Clayton?
Cost for conversion?
Doug you made my day!!!
Don't get me wrong my Clayton 1600 works great and has already paid back the investment. Yes it was a learning curve
understanding burning coal in it. I think others who have them will attest to this as well.
Now this I can't contain myself! :P

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 12:19 pm

North Candlewood wrote:OK :D :D :D
You have my atention now!
My list of questions is long.
What are you heating? WOW
Which model # stokers did you use and where did you get them?
Hopper size? It apears you centered the stokers in the Clayton?
Cost for conversion?
Doug you made my day!!!
Don't get me wrong my Clayton 1600 works great and has already paid back the investment. Yes it was a learning curve
understanding burning coal in it. I think others who have them will attest to this as well.
Now this I can't contain myself! :P
First off, let me say that is one nice looking conversion. I would be happy to own something like that but before you get all google eyed and have your rose colored glasses on. What would your insurance company say about something like that. That unit is no longer certified by UL or anyone else. I would not have a problem running it but a conversion like that may not be for everyone.

spc

Post by spc » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 12:32 pm

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 2:15 pm

wow what are you heating a mansion?
the stoker conversion looks good, but I would take the shaker grates out so the ash goes down to the ash tub

North Candlewood
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 4:49 pm

Gambler has a very valid point about this. This is not for the masses. I can remember some of the first things I read on this forum were about Big Bertha. How's that UL listing going on that piece of art work. Greg :idea: is probly looking at this clayton (The origin of Bertha if I'm not mistaken) figuring out how many stokers he can fit in Bert! :) :D What Doug has done is he has shown us all there is inovation still out there. Just what this country was built on. I do not know how many others there are on the forum with self built equipment out there. Will the Boss? He sees everything! :o Maybe a thread exisits I'll have to poke around!
:cheers:

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Actually I did convert Big Bertha to a stoker,, but I used an antique Iron Fireman stoker to do the job.. I didn't want to cut holes in the sides [the water jacket] of the boiler to install a stoker from the side,, so I inserted the stoker through the feed door, let the ash fall off the sides of the burnpot into the ashpan..

Greg L.
stokerinfirebox.jpg
.JPG | 44.4KB | stokerinfirebox.jpg
stokerashpan.jpg
.JPG | 42.7KB | stokerashpan.jpg

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 7:12 pm

The insurance agent wouldn't even know what he was looking at.He would just think it was a newer version clayton furnace.
DON

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 7:38 pm

Hi, everyone. I'm so glad for your interest in the "CLAYTON PROJECT." I'm going to answer your questions.

North Candlewood, What are you heating? I'm heating a large, roughly 3700sq.ft old house built in 1889. Which model stokers did you use and where did you get them? The stokers are the Mid Stoker COMPLETE for READING STOVE and I purchased them from HEET,INC. in Washington,PA. http://www.heetinc.com phone 724-228-3710. Hopper size? It is a stock hopper from READING STOVE. It appears you centered the stokers in the CLAYTON? Yes I did, right across from each other, but closer to the feed door for ease of lighting and maintaning. Cost for the conversion? I'm still adding up the total amount, but it approximatly doubled the cost of buying the Clayton 1600 new. North Candlewood I'm glad you like it. Thanks.

Gambler, Thanks for the nice comment. Put your rose colored glasses on and call your insurance company. I did before I made it. And guess what, If you tell them you burn, wood or coal, you are covered for fire if you update the policy. My agent even veiwed this post today and said the installation was pristine. As for the UL rating, they didn't care as long as it was done within NFPA guidelines. He said it's covered under the stupidity clause. If you smoke a cigarette, fall asleep and your house burns down, you are covered. There are alot of stoves and fireplaces out there that are in homes that are not UL listed and they cover them. They will mainly try to bang you if it can be proven the cause is lack of maintenance. He did tell me that if I got flooded though, they are only responsible to get you conventional heat. The alternative heating we do with the equipment we use on this forum will only be prorated for the amount of deprecation over the estimate the adjuster comes up with.
DSCF1323.JPG
.JPG | 484KB | DSCF1323.JPG
DSCF1308.JPG
.JPG | 446.7KB | DSCF1308.JPG

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 7:51 pm

DOUG wrote:Gambler, Thanks for the nice comment. Put your rose colored glasses on and call your insurance company. I did before I made it. And guess what, If you tell them you burn, wood or coal, you are covered for fire if you update the policy.
Hey, that is great!
I probably would not have had the balls to call them and just went ahead and did it.
That is one heck of a good looking conversion.

Ok, installing rose colored glasses now. :lol:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”