Clayton Furnace With Dual Reading Stokers

seabee570

Post by seabee570 » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 7:53 pm

How did you get them to sell you the stokers? I am very interested in your project,and I live in the pittsburgh area...if you have asome free time,I would like to visit and see it....if it were mine I would also look at adding the coaltrol automatic ignition module and controller.....I would also add an feature that would allow unit to fire on outside temperature in conjunction with the auto-ignitor.......do you know how many cfm the hot air jacket blowers are? does each furnace have a single forced air blower?or dual? keep up the good work.....thanks for pics and info...how is your supplier of coal? do you have an approximate cost of coal in this area..again thanks for sharing you project with us

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 9:32 pm

seabee570:

The people at Heet Inc. in Washington, Pa are very nice to deal with. It did take a little convincing at first to get them to sell the stokers. They were very helpful and professional. Back in 2006 I had talked to READING STOVE COMPANY and they were going to sell me the stokers but I wasn't ready with the design conversion to make the purchase then. My set up does use the COAL-TROL DIGITAL TS2. At the present time COAL-TROL told me they are still working on the auto Ingnition for possible future purchase. It is not ready yet. I have not considered any other control, such as outside thermometers. The COAL-TROL is performing very well. After some more experimenting I plan on giving a report on the useage of the COAL-TROL. I'm working with NEIL at COAL-TROL to perfect my system first. Once we are done I'll give a post on the COAL-TROL with the READING TRIBURNERS in the CLAYTON furnace.

My set up is in a series flow. Gas furnace, modified with the two CLAYTON blowers and the blower the gas furnace came with removed, into both CLAYTONs returns. The CLAYTON's return was enlarged to 18" x 18" in both units for better flow and less resistance. Since the blowers are not mounted on the CLAYTONS, all the air is coming from the gas furnace. This really works well if you open the flow and don't use sharp bends in the duct work. The blowers are 1400 CFM's and are in a twin configuration. The wiring took alot af planning in order to get any one of the units to activate the blowers when needed.

The coal supplier is also Heet, Inc. in Washington, Pa and there is a yard down the street if you want it in bulk. They are selling READING ANTRACITE at $218.00 a ton for buckwheat.

Private message me with some info on you and maybe over the Thanksgiving holiday weeked, we may be able to hook up. Thanks for your interest. It makes me feel good even if the wife doesn't understand all this coal stuff. :)

seabee570

Post by seabee570 » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 10:30 pm

I thought that the auto-ignitor was already on the market...oh well one step at a time....good luck

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 9:52 am

hey doug, have not heard form you in a while. how is that beast running, workin out good for ya?

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 11:01 am

Hi, mudman. I've been quiet on this topic for awhile, but I've been answering a lot of others lately.
The current status on the project is: It is working so well with the Coal-trol, I don't have to do anything. If it wasn't for adding coal to the hoppers and emptying the ashes every day, I swear it was the gas furnace operating, but better than the gas unit could have ever dreamed of. Now that it is tuned, I just set it and forget it, other than feeding it and changing its diapers, the Coal-trol keeps it occupied all day. I know that it has been handling the house all by itself, with no other assistance from anyone of the other units, with temperatures into the lower single digits at night and the house is a constant temperature of 71 degrees. Exactly where I set it. No temperature swings. The Coal-trol is the ONLY way to go!!! My wife has even given her approval of this Clayton stoker unit. She just loves the Coal-trol. :love: She puts the temperature setting where she wants it, and THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS!! No more temperature up and downs and constantly messing with it and swearing at me, "It's too hot!, I'm cold!, I'm going to put the gas on!!, I'm going to take an axe to that thing!!, shut that thing OFF!!" :mad: Anyway the Coal-trol has greatly improved my marriage :inlove: THANK YOU NEIL!! :junmp: Back on the sidelines.DOUG

North Candlewood
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 8:28 pm

Is it time too!
:cheers:
It sounds like you got it Doug!
Any concerns?
I know how we get!
Always thinking,wondering what else could of, should of, and or changed this or that.
KISS princapal applies! And The 7 P rule.
Well Done!
Charles

IRONMAN

Post by IRONMAN » Mon. Feb. 01, 2010 9:54 pm

Where can I get those stokers I want to build my own unit like that. :rambo3:

Blackdiamonddoug

Post by Blackdiamonddoug » Fri. Feb. 05, 2010 5:30 pm

Very impressive stoker instalation.
How big is the stove pipe on the top of unit?
BDD

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Fri. Feb. 05, 2010 6:52 pm

The Clayton flue is 6 inches and I used an adapter to increase it to 7 inches. The hot air duct size is 20 inches and the return is 18 inches.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Wed. Dec. 15, 2021 7:22 pm

Resurrection:

Hello Doug,

I was wondering if you run your stokers with the baffle in direct draft or indirect?

I’ve been drawing up plans for a home made stoker for my Clayton and collecting materials. I ran across your conversion on a Google search. Freaking awesome!!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”