Coal Hopper Redesign

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
maurizziot
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure line Coal Stove
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer rear vent

Post Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 7:44 pm

Hey Jerry have you though of modify the hopper's on your stove's. often I have
to direct the coal towards the center of the hopper. I have Pioneer and
the hopper hold 110 lbs as you know, but with the square bottom it seems that when the hopper is full and unattended
the stove would burn only 75 lbs of coal with out moving the coal towards the center.
have you though of a 30* angle or better on the bottom of the hopper to direct the coal better. even if the
hopper held 80lbs of rice it all would be utilized and directed towards the feeder.

smith10210
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

Post Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 8:20 pm

I was wondering the same thing I hate how the coal sticks to the side of the hopper I always try to build up the coal in the center once or twice a day.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Hearth model with twin turbos

Post Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 8:55 pm

someone here (I believe) pt some baffles in their hopper to direct more coal toward the opening. They significantly reduced the capacity of the hopper, but we able to "fix" the design. You'd have to increase the overall size of the hopper some 25% to allow for the correct shape (based on current designs)

Ideally, you'd have a round tube, but it would be 10' tall!
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck

PaGuy
Stove/Furnace Model: Econo

Post Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Looking at the same problem here. By the sounds of it I'm going to have to design and fabricate my own for the Econo. Going to make it taller and add some muffin fans into it. Looking for ideas though.

John
Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 12:20 am

I beleive the reason for it is cost, you need to whole lot more bending and cutting to make a true hopper. The space in the hopper that is not used is going to be dead space whether it's angled correctly or not so you're not gaining anything.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

traderfjp
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing 3

Post Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 12:26 am

I have a Channing and the hopper has sloped sides and the coal still stays gets caught on the sides. I check it daily and use a wooden spoon or the lid to pile the coal in the middle. You don't want too easy do ya? Will the Coaltrol my stove is very lonely.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert in any coal or plumbing related field. I only post my own experiences, research and common sense. If you choose to use any of the information in this post or any other post you do so at your own risk.

morrisfamily3098
Stove/Furnace Model: Hyfire2

Post Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 9:36 am

I agree I need a reason to go play withe the stove now that I have a girly man stove. My hyfire ll is way better than that handfired I used to have. It is very lonely though :( . I don't know if the stove could get any better than it already is :clap: :clap: :clap: :dancing:

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)
Stove/Furnace Model: Hearth model with twin turbos

Post Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 9:58 am

Richard S. wrote:I beleive the reason for it is cost, you need to whole lot more bending and cutting to make a true hopper. The space in the hopper that is not used is going to be dead space whether it's angled correctly or not so you're not gaining anything.
The other things are physical size and weight when full. I don't know about you, but I don't let the hopper get more than 40% empty (60% full) without refilling it to the top.
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”