Leisure Line Stoves / Coal-Trol

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. May. 18, 2006 5:33 pm

I'm buying a Coal stove and was very interested in the Pioneer LE with Direct vent. I talked to Leisure Line and was told that the stove now comes with the coal-trol digital thermostat with 2 settings. I like the idea of having this thermostat on my stove.

My dealer where I live said that the stack temps are very high on the leisure Line stoves and are close to 300 degrees while the Alaskan and Keystoker are much, much lower so I guess less heat is being lost.

Can anyone give me advice on the stocak temp? The other stove I was looking at is an Alaskan Channing which is a great stove but doesn't come with a wall thermostat. Does the Coal-trol keep the house at a more constant temp and save coal?

The other things I'm a little concerned about is that the Alaskan Channing is made from 1/4" steel while the Leisure is made from 1/8" steel. Should the thickness of the steel be a concern? :P

Thanks in advance

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Fri. May. 19, 2006 11:05 am

I'm not sure about the stack temp you were told about. 300 degrees is pretty hot. The leisure line we test with in the shop certainly doesn't run that hot a chimney pipe. Even at full burn the pipe 3-4 feet from the stove (a diagonal section) is hot to the touch, but still touchable. Proper draft and barometric damper setup is essential to get the best efficiency, and thus proper stack temp.

The Coal-Trol Digital is able to hold the room temperature to within +/- 1 degree of your set temperature. The TS2 with 2 setpoints allows you to set two times and temperatures during the day, typically a day time setpoint and a night time setpoint. You have the option of upgrading to the TS1 which will offer energy star compliance (among other features). For a thermostat that means, in addition to holding a temperature to within +/- 1 degree, there are 4 weekday setpoints and 4 weekend setpoint that can be set. This allows for morning, day, evening, and night setpoints and thus more control of temperatures and fuel use during the day. Both thermostats offer improved fuel efficiency over traditional control methods: on/off thermostat systems, timer controls, and manual adjustment. This is especially the case when considered against the need for frequent adjustments of the timer and manual control methods in order to keep up with changing outdoor temperatures and other environmental factors.

Feel free to call us at 315-299-3589, check out our website (http://www.coaltroldigital.com), or PM myself or Neil Waelder for more information.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. May. 21, 2006 9:02 am

Is your Coal-trol easily fitted to an Alaskan Channing 3?

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Tue. May. 23, 2006 2:34 pm

The first stove that Coal-trol ran on was an Alaska stove. That owner's desire for easy to use, high consistency temperature control for their stove is what kicked off the development of the Coal-trol. :) It is able to be retrofited to them, though I don't know the details of how difficult it is. Generally speaking, if the motors have plug coords on them it is very easy. If they are "hard wired" into a junction box or something similar then it will take a bit more effort to attach the necessary plug ends on the motor wires, but still pretty easy. We offer operations and installation manuals on our website (link in my signature line) for download so you can judge for yourself if you're comfortable doing it yourself.

You can also call us for help or questions. Many dealers will also offer what help they can. And, of course, there is this forum.

stcoal

Post by stcoal » Thu. Jun. 01, 2006 1:47 pm

Isn't it true that Leisure Line stove company is the only one that is now coming standard with your thermostat?

I am a Leisure Line dealer and I have a couple of stoves in use with the coal-trol thermostat and all the homeowners love them..

I feel these are the best thermostats out there for coal stoves I have one on my new stove for the house a Hyfire 2

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Thu. Jun. 01, 2006 4:13 pm

Very happy you like it and that you've seen a positive response from your customers.

Leisure Line is planning to sell Coal-Trol Digital controls as base equipment on their stoves this coming season and is the only manufacturer doing so so far. LL has been a front runner on adoption of the Coal-Trol since it was introduced last September (and even before that) and we're excited to be working with them on their plans for this season.

There's a deal with another manufacturer either signed and done or in the works for Coal-Trol to be sold as optional equipment. Can't remember the details, particularly if we're supposed to be talking about it publicly yet, so I'll leave it at that. :)

nwaelder
Verified Business Rep.

Post by nwaelder » Thu. Jul. 13, 2006 11:48 am

Keystoker - Pottsville,PA has integrated the Coal-trol digital system into their stoves and is offering it as a factory option for this year. Contact your Keystoker dealer.

This is in addition to Leisure Line using the Coal-trol Digital(TM) as standard equipment on every stove they make, except one model, where it is an option.

We have worked the past year to offer more affordable Coal-trol system configureations. The Coal-trol is designed to replace existing inferior stove control solutions you may already have, and has been sucessfully retrofitted to Alaska, Reading, Keystoker, Harman, and Leisure Line stoves.

We will be taking wraps off our product line-up for 2006 later this month. Check our website the 1st week of August.

Hope this helps.

timberman

Post by timberman » Sun. Oct. 08, 2006 8:37 pm

Could someone tell me which Coal-trol Digital comes on a Pioneer LE Leisure Line Stove. I see four different levels of controls on the Coal-trol web site? Such as Basic, Basic+, Standard, and Standard+. Thanks. Timberman

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Mon. Oct. 09, 2006 10:59 am

Leisure Line stoves come standard with a T2 thermostat and a CM-OEM control module. This CM-OEM module is only available to OEMs and can be configured in a number of ways. It is essentially a Coal-Trol Basic with an igniter plug on it.

You can optionally request a T1 thermostat. On the HyFire and Pocono models I believe you can optionally request a CM1 w/Fan to be able to tie the system into an existing forced air furnace system. I don't know if this option is offered on the other models.

timberman

Post by timberman » Mon. Oct. 09, 2006 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info. Timberman

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”