Coal Furnaces, How Many Are Using Them, and Your Verdicts?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Feb. 27, 2015 8:22 am

Have water to air coil in the heat pump duct being fired w/ a AA_130 augering from 1 ton mobil bins. Raising ice water up to usable DHW is a nice bonus feature. What's not to like? :D

Helped 2 other friends to locate AA_130's and bring them to Ohio. 8-)

ChrisS
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Blaschak, Lehigh Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump (set to "OFF" now), Propane FP insert

Post by ChrisS » Fri. Feb. 27, 2015 9:21 am

Like another poster here, I have a Keystoker Koker 160, and this is my first year with coal. A salesperson steered me to the Koker as opposed to the smaller Keystoker 90/105 options, in order to allow me to connect to our existing forced air ductwork. It obviously cost more for installation, and it was well worth it. Warm basement now, warm house, too. Only thing I'd like for next year is a small direct vent stove, even single-wall, for the other end of the long basement, beneath a section of the house not ducted. No chimney down there, so options are limited.

As for doing anything different, I would have considered removing an interior finished basement wall and tapped into the masonry chimney. It would have meant about 20 feet more ductwork to tap into the forced air system, but in hindsight that may have worked just fine, given the size of the fan on the Koker. This would have also meant removing a propane insert in the fireplace on the first floor, along with a stainless chimney liner. But to have that Koker in the basement, using a good chimney, would seem to have been optimal. If I ever move, I'll re-design a system knowing what I have learned this year.

And if you know of any inexpensive stokers out there with direct vent, let me know :D Found one Alaska Stoker I with DV for $1000. Good deal?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”