Coal-Trol With Reading Allegheny RS-96 Stove

RickG

Post by RickG » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 6:50 pm

I am fairly new to this forum and have enjoyed reading various threads and the wealth of information that is shared amongst the forum's members. I joined because of my recent purchase of a Reading Allegheny stoker stove. This is my first experience with a coal stove. I have certainly benefited from a number of tips in starting a coal fire that I have read here...so thanks guys!!
Now, I have another problem. My stove is located in a finished portion of my basement and has the optional Fasco 50769-D500 blower that allowed me to pipe a 6" line from the heat jacket to two opposite ends of my house. I fired the stove up for the first continuous running last week. After the coal was properly "glowing," I turned the "speed control" (which Reading uses to regulate the stoves BTU output) to its lowest setting and was greatly pleased with the amount of heat that was coming up through the 6"lines into the first floor area. Well, it was only after a few hours that I realized that I had way too much heat building up even thought he outside temps were dropping below freezing. I had to open doors and windows to balance out the interior heat. So after learning of the Coal-control through a search of this forum's threads, I called the manufacture and gathered some info on their product.
I am wondering if anyone here has a Reading stoker that has the combustion blower and coal feed running off the same motor? And if so, do you have a Coal-Trol operating your stove? Coal-cotrol shows a two plug set-up with a separate motor for the feed and the blower. Do I have a problem with one motor running both the feed and combustion fan? Thanks for any helpful input.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 7:15 pm

RickG The Reading stoves & the older Alaska stoves uses a tri burner type stoker with a single motor look on page 22 on the like below you can use a coal trol with a tri burner stoker unit

http://www.automationcorrect.com/documents/Coal-t ... ll_Web.pdf

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Couple different ways, leave it as is and change the settings on the CoalTrol for TRiBurn mode or separate the blower/stoker to different plugs and plug them in separately to the coaltrol and let it control the feed rate, blowers, etc....Way better than rheostats having to constantly change based on temperatures.

Depending on how it's wired, you may have to put plugs on your wires of your stove to plug into the coaltrol, but they the Plug Kits available too.

RickG

Post by RickG » Wed. Nov. 05, 2008 11:13 am

Thank you, coal berner and WNY for the info...it is much appreciated. I managed to speak with someone at Coal-Trol and ordered the standard controls. I hope it solves my excessive heat problem. Thanks again, guys!!!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Nov. 05, 2008 12:56 pm

Once you get it tuned in, you will really enjoy it. No Messing around with adjustments. :)

ottawadriver

Post by ottawadriver » Wed. Nov. 02, 2011 7:53 pm

If you contact the Reading stove factory store, they sell the coal trol unit with a modification kit for the stove. It eliminates the blower fan from the feed motor and adds a separate and stronger blower motor for the combustion. They also include the new plates and hardware needed for installation. I got it this week and it really turns this stove into a whole new animal. Definitely a much hotter and complete burn with less coal and the bonus of the thermostat control. If you live close enough to Hamburg PA you can take in the feed unit and he will do the mod for you while you wait, but anyone can do it with basic tools.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”