Members Running a Keystoker DV

JohnnyAsbury

Post by JohnnyAsbury » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 3:36 pm

Sorry, they drop on the floor INSIDE of the stove, behind the ash pan.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 3:37 pm

Just get some 3/4" rope gasket material and stuff it in the space on either side of the grate. The coal that is dropping through there can also be just thrown on the burning part of the fire when you collect it, ash and all. :)

JohnnyAsbury

Post by JohnnyAsbury » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 3:46 pm

here is a picture of where it comes out.

Attachments

IMG_5183.JPG
.JPG | 350.3KB | IMG_5183.JPG

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 4:07 pm

I had (have?) the same issue with my Koker. The sides of the "grate" don't go all the way back to the back wall of the furnace. There's about a 1/4" vertical gap. As the stoker bar pushes coal down the grate, some of the smaller pieces fall off to the side through this gap. It collects on the shelf below the stoker unit and once that area is filled, begins to collect on the floor of the furnace.
I cleaned all the ashes and coal off the grate and all the coal out of the hopper. I then cut a couple of pieces of rope gasket material to the proper length and pushed them into the gaps. This should prevent any coal from falling through, keeping it all in front of the pusher bar.
I'm assuming the gaps are simply a clearance designed into the furnace and stoker assembly to prevent any assembly problems. I checked mine very closely before doing anything, to make sure something couldn't be tightened to draw the stoker closer tinto the back of the furnace. Everything looked good, so I went ahead with my fix.

JohnnyAsbury

Post by JohnnyAsbury » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Maybe this gap is like this so the grate to the 105 will fit in the same hole as the 90 ?
Now I wonder if I should remove the coal from the hopper and stuff the rope, or is stuffing the rope around the hole where this picture is taken going to be good enough ?

CoaLen

Post by CoaLen » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 8:11 pm

On my Koker the gap was too far back to reach from the front of the furnace. I could only access it through the hole on the bottom of the hopper.
Good luck with yours.
-Len

JohnnyAsbury

Post by JohnnyAsbury » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 8:30 pm

Thanks Len. I guess I will be emptying my full hopper Sunday, and looking for that gap.

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 12:13 pm

JohnnyAsbury wrote:Maybe this gap is like this so the grate to the 105 will fit in the same hole as the 90 ?
Now I wonder if I should remove the coal from the hopper and stuff the rope, or is stuffing the rope around the hole where this picture is taken going to be good enough ?
That's really weird.....I have no such problems with my 90, although it is a much older model. I'm trying to even picture where I could have such a gap on my stoker and have coal falling through to the INSIDE of the stove. Do make sure you have the grate well sealed at the rear joint and the sides up to the air holes.
DSC03441.JPG

Make sure the grate area is sealed well. You can see the pusher block.

.JPG | 157.1KB | DSC03441.JPG
I really can't imagine how coal can collect where you have it collecting....

Chris

CoaLen

Post by CoaLen » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 12:41 pm

Chris,
I'm had the same problem. I've attached a photo of my Koker grate. You can see the vertical gaps at at the back end of what I'll call the side rails. As the pusher bar pushes coal past them, smaller pieces fall off to the side through the gaps and eventually down to the floor of the furnace.
-Len

Attachments

Coal Furnace 2 082308.jpg
.JPG | 693.7KB | Coal Furnace 2 082308.jpg

JohnnyAsbury

Post by JohnnyAsbury » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 12:47 pm

I emptied my hopper, and like CoaLen said, there was a 1/4 inch gap x 3 inches high on both sides where the grate dosent go all the way up to the side of the stove. This gap allows small pieces of coal to drop in, as I posted in the picture. I tried to stuff the rope in, but it didn't work out, and I didn't want it to create more of a problem in the future. I guess I will live with it, and vac it up and toss it into the fire as Matthaus suggested.

JohnnyAsbury

Post by JohnnyAsbury » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 12:55 pm

europachris wrote:That's really weird.....I have no such problems with my 90, although it is a much older model.
As the saying goes...they don't make them like they used to !

JohnnyAsbury

Post by JohnnyAsbury » Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 9:22 pm

Next question for Keystoker members running a Coal-trol.
Have you found your preferred setting ? I see how it would change with the weather. Tonight I'm running MIN 4, MAX 55. Seems to be the right setting for me when its 32 * outside, and 77 * inside.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”