traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 7:09 am

Stove: Channing III (DV)
Home: 2000 sq. ft. colonial from the 70's
Outside temp: 30
Inside stove room: 75
Fire on grate: 50%
Temp on stove: 360 degrees

Comments: This sucker is really firing hard. I'm impressed with the heat output from the Kimmels coal.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 7:12 am

SOund good.
I think my exhaust was around 200, the stove was around 300, LIving room was 68 (setpoint) and feed rate was only like 17. Outside temp was also 30. The heat jacket really helps keep it warmer, the stove run just above idle and really kicks out the heat

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 8:09 am

traderfjp wrote:Outside temp: 30
Inside stove room: 75
Fire on grate: 50%
Temp on stove: 360 degrees

Comments: This sucker is really firing hard.
Firing hard? Wait until you get the other 50% of the grate covered with red hot coals. ;)
30 degrees in NY, I figured you guys would be colder than that. It is 26 degrees here as I type.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 8:21 am

It's 27 here in NW NJ. Both stoves are burning, nowhere near full burns. It's 70 on the 2nd floor where I am and I'm sweating. :D

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 9:03 am

I have tried something a little different the last 2 days and I have today off of work so I am watching things. The max setting on my coal-trol had been 38 but in this moderate weather my stove would ramp up and satisfy the t-stat and then go all of the way back to "0" feedrate. Then when the stove called for heat it would take quite a while to ramp back up and satisfy the t-stat. It seemed to always keep this cycling action. I thought it would be nice to wash a little more heat from the stove by having the room fan run faster and stay running longer (a more steady heat) to try to keep away from this cycle up and down. What I have done is set the coal-trol max setting to 25. What that has done for me was give me a more constant heat output without all of the cycling. It has kept the room fan running at all times washing more heat from the stove. Yes the air is a little cooler when the stove is running at a lower feed rate. But what I didn't think about (and this is my theory) was that because I am taking more heat from the stove my draft has dropped from .04 to .03 I believe that with this weather we have been having that the stove is far bigger than is needed at this time. By lowering the max setting I have made a smaller more efficient stove for these weather conditions. This morning with the outside temp at 26 my feed rate was at 79 and I have 1/2 of the grate still covered in ash. The stove temp right above the door is 425*

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 12:01 am

As an alternative you could going back to your old MAX setting, and instead lower your CFT setting (SETUP menu) and/or increase the CFM setting (advanced menu, press and hold menu key for 15 seconds, until the "A ##F" display shows up, then click menu to the CFM setting). Lower CFT will run the fan more constantly and higher CFM will increase the speed used at low feedrates. As you say, you'll get a lower temperature air out of the air outlet of the stove, but it will move the air around more and should even the swinging in the FR while preserving the top end heat output capability of the stove.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 12:18 am

I have an Alaka Channing III with a DV. I've been playing around with the setback feature. I find that the stove runs hard and then needs to calm down when asked to make a new set points. Maybe I have my Max too high. I had the nightime temp set at 72 and around 4am the temp goes to 74. I noticed this morning when it was about 37 the stove was pushing some serious heat and then clamed down. I had an over fire of about 4-5 degrees. I'm not sure why. When the temps in the morning were mild the stove seemed to be with in 2 degrees of the set point. My min is 3 and my max is 38. The thermostat is about 10' away from the stove on an interioir wall. I'm thinking that my Max may be set to high. I'm not sure. I am going to try to keep the stove at a constant 74 and see what happens tomorrow morning.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”