Channing III, Should I Void the Warranty

miracleon06

Post by miracleon06 » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 4:53 pm

Okay guys, I have an Alaska Channing III being installed next week. I had originally wanted to buy the coal-trol with the stove. However I was told by the dealer that adding the coal-trol voids the warranty on the stove. So should I stick with the system that the stove comes with, or should I possibly void the warranty and get the coal-trol.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 6:21 pm

It's easy to try it the way it comes.. if you find it difficult, or inadequate for your want/desires and needs. you can always buy the coal trol... That said, 99.9% of te coal trol users really like the unit.

Greg L.

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 11:30 pm

I have the coal-trol on my channing and have had no problems with it what so ever. First of all I know the people at Laska and when I bout my stove they told me the same thing however I talked to a lawyer friend and they said they can't deny the warranty unless they(Alaska) can prove that the coal-trol caused the failure. Providing you don't alter the wiring in anyway and what they don't know won't hurt them. All you need to do is go to the hardware store and pick up some short extension cords for the combustion and convection blowers. The you need a power cord for a PC type computer to plug the feeder motor into the coal-trol . Then you need to get female 115 volt cord end to cap off the cord that comes out from below the feeder motor as it will be an exposed live wire if you don't. This cord can also be plugged back int the orange 3 way which has the short male end coming from below the fedder motor which is actually coming out of a power dist. block.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 12:09 am

The Coaltrol is a good investment and will keep the house at a comfortable temperature. There is a lot of guessing with the manual feed box. You'll either over fire or under fire your stove. That said the Coaltrol is simply a thermostat and the motors plug into their control box. I can't see how it would damage any of the components. Since the Coaltrol has come out I have not read of one instance of a motor failure being blamed on the Coaltrol. I think Alaska hates to admit that the Coaltrol is a better product than their thermostat and wants you to buy from them.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 12:18 am

I've heard about this and when customers contact us directly about buying a Coal-trol for their Alaska, we make sure to tell them this as a matter of honesty and full disclosure. However, I'll note that I've never heard of Alaska or an Alaska dealer denying warranty coverage on a part for this reason. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I just haven't heard of it.

And you'd have a valid claim to make against them if they tried. Think of it this way, car dealers can't deny coverage on a factory speaker just because you installed an aftermarket head unit. They might try, but they have to show that you screwed up the installation or that the new stereo was overpowering the speaker or something like that in order to get out of it.

miracleon06

Post by miracleon06 » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks everyone. I went ahead an ordered a unit for my stove. I live fairly close to Syracuse where the unit is coming from, so I was told that I may have it as early as Monday.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”