I'm Thinking About Changing to a Girlie Man Furnace

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 11:56 am

I've been running a Hotblast hot air furnace for the last 3 years.I helped a friend install a channing III stove and liked how simple the stoker was.Soo..I'm thinking about a stoker furnace but have a few questions.

I need about 85K BTU's (min).
Do they all burn rice coal?
I like the simplicity of the Alaska stoker.(I could mount the feed rate box upstairs and turn it up or down as needed).

Don't want a thermostat(don't like the 2* up and down and I don't like digital thermostats)

If some of you guys can chine in and tell me what you do and don't like about your stoker furnaces would be helpful.

Can you also tell me about how much these things cost and who makes some of the better ones?
Thanks DON

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 12:00 pm

I'd look into a LeisureLine Hyfire II search for Hyfire I and WNY's posts, he turned his Hyfire into a furnace..
Keystoker makes big hot air furnaces.
EFM is coming out again with a hot air furnace.
Alaska has a big stove, 180K I think..

Do a search on all the manufacturer sites..

An older Hyfire with out the coal trol is a manual adjustment, since you are adverse to digital controls.. but you need to see the coal trol in action.

Greg L

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 12:17 pm

If you like the heat from a stoker you can put in the living area and save lots of coal.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 12:39 pm

Yes, Almost all of the furance type stokers will use RICE coal, some can use mix of Rice/Buckwheat, but not more than maybe 50/50.

If you get a coal trol thermostat, you really don't have to mess with the stove turning it up or down, just "set it and forget it" basically, but you have the option of running the fans, feed rates, etc..manually too!

The Hyfire is a great unit with a heat jacket, a Keystoker Koker or any similiar,

My buddy has an Alaska 140 for sale in the Classifieds. Much cheaper than a new unit.

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Greg,
I do have an adversion to controls.I'm a KISS person.Hell I don't even need a fan switch with the Hotblast(although I installed a adjustable fan switch and rheostat for the fans).I like the fans running 24/7,Keeps the heat in the house very even.

traderfjp,
I have a wood stove in the parlor,fireplace in the living room and oil hot air in the cellar.I think I'll keep any more heating stuff in the cellar.The furnace in the cellar helps keep the floors warmer and mama likes that.I don't mind burning a little more coal.I also store my coal in bags in the cellar so the furnace in the cellar thing works good for me.

wny,
My oil is set and forget but I don't like the up and down temps of a thermostat.I am very happy with the way the Hotblast heats,I just like the idea of filling a hopper and emptying ash without the clinker fishing and shaking.

Also it seems like the stoker like the alaska uses will burn even crap coal well.My friend bought 3 ton of Casey Kassa(sp) coal and works fine although I'm sure he would make more heat with better coal.
DON

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 6:27 pm

Well a GOOD thermostat will not cycle the heat up and down.. But that is something you have to experience..

Yes a stoker stove is much easier to live with,, if you are a few hours late to tend the stove,, usually the worst is the ash pan is overfilled, not like a hand fired where you might have to start a new fire... I've done them both... won't consider a hand feed anymore..

Greg L

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm looking at the keystoker A120.Can't seem to find a lot of specs though.Wonder if the 120K BTU's is net or gross.I'm leaning toward the flat plate stokers,seems simpler or do the inverted bell type stokers work better?
DON

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 9:45 pm

LsFarm wrote:Well a GOOD thermostat will not cycle the heat up and down.. But that is something you have to experience..

Yes a stoker stove is much easier to live with,, if you are a few hours late to tend the stove,, usually the worst is the ash pan is overfilled, not like a hand fired where you might have to start a new fire... I've done them both... won't consider a hand feed anymore..

Greg L
Yeah Greg,
The other thing that I like about a stoker is you can fill it any time.With the hand fired you have to wait for it to burn down so you can fit a full load in it.
DON

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 8:00 pm

BTT

NEPANewb
Location: Taylor, PA...aka part of NEPA...home of the Anthracite :)

Post by NEPANewb » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 11:19 am

BIG BEAM wrote:I'm looking at the keystoker A120.Can't seem to find a lot of specs though.Wonder if the 120K BTU's is net or gross.I'm leaning toward the flat plate stokers,seems simpler or do the inverted bell type stokers work better?
DON
When we took the tour of Keystoker last week I think we got to see a nice A120 that they use to heat the office area (may have been a slightly smaller unit than a 120..but I think they use the same body and just a slightly different stoker...don't quote me)...it was humming along nicely....they are well built units..I'm pretty sure that the 120 is the gross BTUs...I picked up as couple brochures while there and I know the 120 is in one of them. I'll try to remember to take a look tonight and post what I find if someone else does not beat me to it :D

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 5:01 pm

Well I went to Dennis coal today and got a price on an A80 keystoker.4 grand! I was also looking at the Koker I think 160K BTU's not the price.Boy that place was busy.The A80 gear box was a lot more HD than the A120.Have to think long and hard before I can the hotblast.
DON

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 5:52 pm

Here is some reading for you Don Hot air Furnace & hot water boiler's

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks J.C.
what kind of prices are the A80 or A120 down your way.Might be worth a trip.
DON

efo141

Post by efo141 » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 7:44 pm

I think all Keystokers will burn 100% buck as long as they are not a direct vent unit.
WNY wrote:Yes, Almost all of the furance type stokers will use RICE coal, some can use mix of Rice/Buckwheat, but not more than maybe 50/50.

If you get a coal trol thermostat, you really don't have to mess with the stove turning it up or down, just "set it and forget it" basically, but you have the option of running the fans, feed rates, etc..manually too!

The Hyfire is a great unit with a heat jacket, a Keystoker Koker or any similiar,

My buddy has an Alaska 140 for sale in the Classifieds. Much cheaper than a new unit.

gambler

Post by gambler » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 7:51 pm

BIG BEAM wrote:Well I went to Dennis coal today and got a price on an A80 keystoker.4 grand! I was also looking at the Koker I think 160K BTU's not the price.Boy that place was busy.The A80 gear box was a lot more HD than the A120.Have to think long and hard before I can the hotblast.
DON
Well, as you can see there are no cheap furnaces or boilers. If you want to play, you gotta pay.
Maybe keep the hotblast until you can find a good used unit that meets your needs.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”