I'm Thinking About Changing to a Girlie Man Furnace

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 1:32 am

BIG BEAM wrote:Thanks J.C.
what kind of prices are the A80 or A120 down your way.Might be worth a trip.
DON
Well Don If yo do not have a dealer in your area Keystoker will sell you one direct But you will have to wait untill Next year
to get one Off of them there are only doing July orders now way behind But if you PM me I will give you some info
on used units and Maybe a new one ;)

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 4:17 pm

I wasn't going to buy anything until spring.Got 8 ton of nut to burn up in the hotblast.I don't think I'll have any trouble getting rid of the hotblast.I was talking to a friend about the stoker and he offered me a grand for the hotblast.I have a spare fan and grates and grate holders so I guess he went online and seen how much the furnace was with all the extras and called me that night.

I'm just in the research stage right now.Still don't know what direction I'm going(story of my life)
J.C. I may take you up on that in the spring.
Matthaus may come across something too but I think he does mostly boilers.

LS FARM I've seen on of those kokers things OMG what a monster.That thing would heat my house and the one next door :shock: but I am still thinking about one of them.
I was looking at a new koker the price wasn't bad I think Charlie Dennis said 2700.00 I would have to make a feed and return plenum but that's no problem.I think Charlie said 160K BTU's.
DON

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Matt Refurbs Stoker stoves Hot air furnaces Stoker boilers He started out doing stoker stoves two years ago last year
he stated doing boilers & hot furnaces he is preety full up there with work here are some spec. on Keystoker koker's
I think I might of already sent yo the info if so sorry
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 6:43 pm

I've never burned a hand fed, never had a coal anything until the boiler this year, so take this from where it comes....all the reading I've done. You say you want to keep it simple. It sure seems a flat plate coal stoker with a coaltrol is about as simple as it gets! Fill the hopper now & then, empty ashes as needed. Set the thermometer & get nice even heat, period. No clinkers, no shaking, no getting home to a cool house because you're an hour late. If I hadn't done the boiler I'd sure go that way. Electronics can be good...and simple. They call them "solid state" for a reason. There are no moving parts. When it comes right down to it, they are very simple, extremely reliable, and can do things that no human can.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 8:22 pm

That's a good piont Freddy about being reliable.But let me tell you guys how I run this thing.I get up in the morning and load it full or almost(almost full this time of the year)It's 73* or 74* when I get up.I set the air according to what the temp is going to be that day so when I get home it's 75* and the fire is still on it's way up.By the time we go to bed it's 78* or 79*.I load the stove and turn the air down so when we get up it's down to 73* or 74* again.These temps are on the 1st floor,the 2nd floor has the doors closed and stay around 62* to 65* all the time.Can you ramp up a little at a time during the day with a coal trol?I don't care if the coal trol just drops like a rock to 74* but I like the slow ramp up during the day.Let me correct mama likes the slow ramp up.Before I had the coal furnace she would get up in the afternoon and evening every hour and bump up the thermostat and I would turn it down to 68* before I go to bed.We used to end up to 75* or so when I burned oil but with the coal we keep the house a little warmer.
DON

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 8:32 pm

From what I've read, if you load the unit and set the coaltrol at 72, when you wake up it's 72, when you go to work it's 72, when you get home it's 72, during the evening it's 72 and when you go to bed it's 72. Of course you can always turn it up to 74 for a while if you want to be warmer!

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 9:01 pm

I have my Coaltrol set to 73 and tonight the wife was complaining that it was a little cold. I went into setup and turn on the FEED 10 function for 5 minutes. The stove was goosed higher and the wife began to smile.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 9:23 pm

But I'll be goosing all afternoon and 1/2 the night just like the oil burner.And I don't want to spend money for a new furnace and get :mad: from the boss.Right now I get :D from the little lady and if she's :D i'm :D .You know the way that works!
DON

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. Nov. 02, 2008 10:02 pm

BigBeam: I sure do but my wife is pretty cool for the most part. They all freak out a little. It's their nature. Female: irrational, wacky, naggy - little vixens. Just kidding.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”