Thermostat Location

AKHEARTH
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by AKHEARTH » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 10:37 am

For those of you who have a stoker stove in their basement and are trying to heat the first floor as well, I was wondering where you have your Thermostat located?

Thanks.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 10:59 am

My friend has this situation and has his stat in the basement 15' from the stove. He has to have it in the mid 80s in the basement to get it to mid 60s on the first floor of his 1500 sq ft ranch. Alaska Channing III.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 11:09 am

I have mine about 10' from the source of the heat grate on an inside wall. It works quite well, of course I have a CoalTrol controlling the stove and maintains within 1 degree 99% of the time. When we had the stove upstairs, we put it on an opposite wall from the stove.
YOu don't too close or too far away, since coal takes time to react (an hour or so).

AKHEARTH

Post by AKHEARTH » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 3:13 pm

Thanks for your replies.

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 4:12 pm

I have my stove in the basement and thermo on the first floor. I do have a 6" duct and duct fan attatched as well. This seems to work out fine for me. My temp on the first floor usualy stays within +/- 1' I have never seen it go past +/- 2' not to say that it has not at one time or another, but I haven't seen it do it.

Jeff

AKHEARTH

Post by AKHEARTH » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 8:46 am

Ceccil,
When you say you have a 6" duct and duct fan do you mean that you have it in the furthest room on the first floor and the duct going over to and blowing down into the basement to create the convection or do you have the fan blowing up into the first floor to blow the warm air up into the first floor?
Thanks.

pandrews

Post by pandrews » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 9:57 am

I have my in the basement about 10 feet from the stove on the bottom of the steps going up to the first floor and I am not getting the heat up stairs. Talking to some other people on here, they say I am having a problem with the cold air return. I am looking for any suggetion on how any of you have worked this out with you stove in the basement and getting heat to the first floor

Phil

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 11:26 am

Do you have a doorway or something you can leave open, the heat will go thru the top and cold air will come back down.

Also, can you hook it into your existing furnance cold air return? or maybe put a vent in the floor somewhere away from the stove, just open to the basement to move the air around. A lot of things you can do.

pandrews

Post by pandrews » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 11:46 am

The stairs to the basement is open stairway. I think I need to place a floor vent in the floor above the stove or close to it. I have a plate that goes over the top of the stove and I can run duck work to that floor vent and let the stove fan push the hot air up to that vent. I will take a picture of the plate and post it so you can see what I am talking about. I really appricate you helping me through all this.

Phil

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Fri. Oct. 31, 2008 4:42 pm

I have a 6" flex duct going from stove to first floor about 5' from the stove. It runs into the living room and thermo is on the opposite wall from the register. I have a duct fan just below the register. Living room stays consistant, the kichen may be 2-5" cooler. This doesn't bother me any, but others may like to see it more even. Sons bedroom is off the living room and stays consistant with the living room. His room has new windows and is insulated, the rest of the house has old windows and no insulation at all except for the attic. This is an ongoing project.

Jeff

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”