Bimetal Disc for Convection Control

jburke

Post by jburke » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 10:04 pm

I have an older Keystoker 70,000 BTU direct vent stove that I bought last year. Some of you may remember all the questions I had while reconditioning/repainting and getting it in operation for the first time. The convection blower has very primitive controls. There is a rheostat which allows me to select the rate of the fan or turn it off all together. I would like more control than this though. I am going to try a bi-metal disc to switch power to the convection blower so that when the stove temperature is down during idle, I don't have to waste electricity and listen to the fan run.

Here's the link to the bi-metal discs...

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Patriot-Supply_Bime ... 60QQsofpZ0

Here's my questions:
1. Where should I mount the disc?
2. What temperature setting should I select? (See the link for the different options. Also this will depend on placement of disc.)

My brother just bought a Koker and it has a nice Honeywell control which does this function for him. I didn't dig in to see where it's sensing temperature. And I haven't looked to see if I could purchase one of the Honeywell controllers and retrofit my stove with it.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Joe

Blackdiamonddoug

Post by Blackdiamonddoug » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 9:06 am

The temp switch is the best bet

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 10:09 am

They work good, BUT, depends on where it's mounted. I had a problem in the airstream, it would kick the fan on, then off within 20 seconds, since it would cool down that much. I finally just put it on the bonnet (Jacket) outside that stays fairly warm and it stays on much longer now. The stove on idle puts out about 140 and it would cycle on/off quite a bit. Maybe when it gets cranking, it will stay on longer. YOu may have to put a temp probe in where you want to monitor and see what the temps are. That's what I did.

I just got one (Tuesday) 3L05-02 or -03 from Patriot Supply (Fast Shipping!!) an Adjustable one, it I think it's 140-180 adjustable, CLOSE ON RISE to control the fan. Maybe go with a lower one 100-140 or something, then you know it will stay on on lower temps. It takes a bit to get it working correctly in the correct area.

Any questions, just ask.

jburke

Post by jburke » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 7:55 am

I checked the part number at Patriot Suppy and it's an OPEN ON RISE. In fact, I didn't see any CLOSE ON RISE on their web page? What am I missing?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”