Alaska Thermostat

uhley

Post by uhley » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 12:33 pm

I bought the automatic thermostat for my Channing III stove. The problem is that I cannot get the temperature of the room down below 75 deg. with the thermostat set at 60. The bottom setting Idle setting is turned all the way down and the Tstat setting is on 2 and I still get about 1 inch of burn. Does any body else have this problem. I gone on line looking for Air Tronics Model AKA-3 Timer control to find out any information but haven't had any luck.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 12:36 pm

What do you mean by Automatic thermostat? A dial type (honeywell) or a digital one. Is it setup for a thermostat? for the stoker?

Sounds like it's on idle and doesn't need heat. It will radiant heat even at idle. The stoker will only use the idle timer when the thermostat is not calling for heat.

Pic or model number of thermostat. ?

if you turn the thermostat UP above the room temp, does it force the stoker to start running? If so, it sounds like it working correctly.

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Tue. Oct. 28, 2008 9:58 pm

I have the optional alaska thermostat option (alaska stat as the term it) but I have since converted to the coal -trol which is a much better t stat IMO. One problem most poeple I have talked to that have any type of alaska control system is the lack of calibration on the dials on the control box. First of all a "1" size fire may not be the minimum fire the knob may turn lower than that and a minimum fire for a channing is about 3/4" wide depending on your drafting abilities of the chimney or venter. However even at an idle you can expect a fair amount of heat from the stove. Also when seting up the controls the high fire should be about 3"-4" to start with. You can make it larger if the stove can't keep up when it is really cold but if you have it too large you get t- stat over shoot. If your wall thermostat has a heat anticipator set it so that the cycle is towards the short end around .5 to .8 .

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 7:08 am

The thermostat can only do so much. When the temp is in the 50's my stove room stays around 75 no matter what I set the thermostat at.

Donald
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Channing 111

Post by Donald » Sat. Mar. 07, 2020 11:18 pm

This is not a problem that is unheard of. I have the thermostat system on my Alaska channing III stove. I have run the system with no problem until this year. The low level seems to run to much. I am not dumb and have never had an issue prior to this year. Is there a replacement solenoid that is in there? As I said I have had the thermostat system for many years but this year even at below 1 it gets way to warm. Any suggestions?

csstoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II

Post by csstoker » Sun. Mar. 08, 2020 9:17 am

After years of no problems, I have had success with turning the dial from high to low to high several times to loosen it up and ensure clean contact. If still too hot, can you turn down the blower?

Donald
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Channing 111

Post by Donald » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 12:35 pm

The solenoid is shot. I called Alaska stove and inquired about it and the only option is to replace the thermostat system control box because the solenoid is not replaceable.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Mar. 30, 2020 5:35 pm

Donald wrote:
Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 12:35 pm
The solenoid is shot. I called Alaska stove and inquired about it and the only option is to replace the thermostat system control box because the solenoid is not replaceable.

What you call there a "solenoid" is actually a rheostat or potentiometer. ;)
Someone able to get a equal replacement part and are handy with a soldering iron could change out and replace it.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”