Harman Mag. Users ( Anyone)

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 12:38 pm

commedic81 wrote:Horace

I passed that info on to him to look into. I haven't had time to go look at it myself yet. I know he has had it burning for a couple hours but it goes out overnight. When I was on the phone with him he had the feed set about 3, and said that the flue pipe felt cool/cold. To me that flagged a draft issue since the pipe should be hot to touch. It sounded like it may just be smothering it out or something.
Hope it helps. Sounds to me, too, like the fire is getting smothered. Let us know how he makes out. If nothing that I suggested works, come back and let us know. We will all get the bottom of it.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 12:47 pm

Horace wrote:I usually don't argue with other members on this site because I realize your greater wisdom and experience, but in this case, I will.
Disagreeing is not arguing. :lol: You've taught me something today. I've seen quite a few Harman stoker mechanisms and I've never seen one with that loop, they were all the open fork type. To my knowledge there has only been one Harman stoker design so I think that part must have evolved from the loop to the open fork. Interesting!

commedic81

Post by commedic81 » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 1:02 am

Hope it helps. Sounds to me, too, like the fire is getting smothered. Let us know how he makes out. If nothing that I suggested works, come back and let us know. We will all get the bottom of it.[/quote]

So I went over expecting to make some adjustments and get the stove going. But to my surprise it wasn't the stove I thought it was. He has a Harman 44 magnum, with a 46,000 BTU output maximum. It has the 2 adjustments knobs, one for the distribution fan and one for the feed setting, 1-5 then turbo. For some reason the only way this stove will burn is if it is set around turbo. There is a fine adjustment screw inside on the feed mechanism, but it is already set to max feed. I wasn't sure what else to tell him because there isn't really anything else to adjust. I set up the barometric damper to open properly and hoped maybe the draft would improve something. Also the ashes seem to clump and not fall off properly, so maybe he has bad coal. Trial and error here I guess is the key. Then again he bought it used so maybe there was something wrong why the other owner sold it. He'll have to find that part out.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Nov. 04, 2008 6:26 am

I would love to see some pictures of the controls and feed mechanism for this stove if you could post them.

commedic81

Post by commedic81 » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 12:53 am

I hope this pic shows up, it is off a website and doesn't show much but does show the 2 control knobs. I don't know if I could get a good enough picture of the feed mechanism.

The url is good for the picture but I don't know how to get it to display on here.
Last edited by commedic81 on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead image link>

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 2:52 am

The url is good for the picture but I don't know how to get it to display on here.
You need to right click on the picture and then click view image and then copy that jpg url inside the Img code short cut.
Last edited by Adamiscold on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead image link>

GAMESNIPER

Post by GAMESNIPER » Sun. Nov. 12, 2023 2:56 pm

Hi guys anyone have a picture or know how wires connect to feed motor capacitor of marman mag stoker hooked up like in owners manual motor wont turn I have 2 black to one side and red to other side of capacitor my arm on motor is turning clockwise when looking at it other video for clunk noise posted on this forum shows it is turning counter clockwise does anyone know which way it turns

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”