Floor Protection?

thoule

Post by thoule » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 6:58 pm

Hi -
I've got a Channing III DV that should be here in about a week. I'm going to put it in the kitchen on some 1'x1' tile squares. Do you recommend floor protection? My brother-in-law says to get a sheet of plywood and put some cheap carpeting on one side and tile the other, then put that on the floor under the thing (tile up). Do I need something there? Any other recommendations?
thanks
T

SteelerCoal

Post by SteelerCoal » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 9:17 pm

What I did was get a sheet of plywood and cut it to the size I needed. I screwed down some cement board on top of the plywood. Then I put tile on top of the cement board and finished it off with wood trim around the edges.

I think you should have the layer of cement board between the tile and plywood for a fire stop. This way, if you ever get a break in a tile, or your grout cracks or whatever, you have the cement board to keep anything from getting through to the combustibles beneath the stove.

They sell these things at my local stove shop for about $450. I have about $60 - $70 of materials into this, plus my time.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”