Quick Question

shano06

Post by shano06 » Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Quick Question about the alaska 140's auto heat exchanger switch. Mine will run and then turn on the blower for what seams like less than a minute, this means that I don't think that the stoves heat is dispensing and instead the fire just gets bigger and bigger, and meaningless to say this is my first week on it and I just wanted to know if any of you knew if this was normal or not

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 5:31 pm

What happens, it gets to a certain temp. on the switch, like 140 degrees or so, it turns the fan on, then cools down a bit, and shuts off. The stove has to keep getting hot enough for the blower to stay on, like 200+ degree, then if it cools down from the blower, it will keep running. Yes, the stove has to get pretty hot to maintain the blower.....

If there is a setting on the fan switch box, some have a black box with a dial in them to adjust the temp. switch for lower or higher temps.

Sounds like it working correctly, just the stove is not getting hot enough to keep it running.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 8:18 pm

If the fire is quite big and hot, but the furnace body is not heating enough to trigger the fan switch, there must be a reason the furnace body is not getting hot.. The first thing I can think of is if there is a barometric damper installed in the flue pipe?? If the draft is too strong it will pull the heat right out of the furnace and up the chimney..

Greg L

shano06

Post by shano06 » Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 9:16 pm

excuse me the first time, it is an auto fan limit switch, anyway I was thinking the same thing as far as the stoves heat getting sucked up the flue. I have a barometric damper on it and when the fire is big the damper is flapping away. but I was thinking that it was broken because I can stick my hand in the damper and feel the draft and it is hot but not unbearable. I just cant believe that the firebox isnt getting hot enough because the fire is so large

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”