Stove Cement

hugg

Post by hugg » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 9:19 am

Good morning all. What is the difference between stove cement, furnace cement, and refractory cement? google was no help. Thanks

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 9:50 am

From my experience, stove cement and furnace cement are the same or very similar,, it comes in a can or tube, is used like putty or slightly adhesive putty, and is very difficult to get off your fingers and out of clothing.. The putty is used to seal joints, flue pipes, or repair small gaps or non-structural cracks..

Refractory cement is more like mortar or concrete, but is a mix that is meant to be molded or poured in or around a firepot, or to make curved 'firebrick' or in one way or another be used in a firebox and have fire on or against it..

If I'm wrong on the above descriptions,, the forum readership will correct me.. :D

Greg L

charlie
Stoker Coal Boiler: Prill 200 BF
Other Heating: Tulikivi TTU 2700

Post by charlie » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 10:06 am

The two things I have on hand are "Furnace and Retort Cement" and "Insulall" furnace cement. The Furnace and Retort Cement is pre-mixed and is used to cement the burner head onto the air chamber. I think that's refractory - withstands very high heat, heat cured, and very smooth. The Insulall is insulating cement for boilers, flues, ductwork, etc. It is dry and looks like it has oatmeal added to it. For best results, it needs about 10% Portland added to it or it will take forever to cure, is somewhat soft, and shrinks quite a bit. Both say furnace cement, so it's a little confusing.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”